Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Flashing Check Engine light 2001 path Forums > > Flashing Check Engine light 2001 path Flashing Check Engine light 2001 path
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 12-14-2007, 06:17 AM
c_law23

Default Flashing Check Engine light 2001 path

Came out of work today and the car had a rough vibration to it and smoothed out. When i was almost home the vibration started again and the cel strated to flash. Almost was acting like it wasnt getting enough fuel, but seemed to only do it in the lower gears (AT) or from a stop. As soon as i got home i popped the hood and the engine was vibrating more than usual. I just replaced the battery a few days ago as it was dead (and old) and it drove fine to work this morning. It sat for only a day while the battery was dead.

any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Run your ride up to your local auto center (i.e., AutoZone (they do this service free), etc.) and have them read your computer. Let us know what you find and then I'll look it up.

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM
c_law23

I cant get to it until friday, once i do ill shoot em to you. Appreciate it!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:36 AM
cupton

Default misfiring plugs or coil packs

C_law, I believe when the engine light flashes it means you truck is misfiring. It is probably either the spark plugs or one or more of the coil packs for the spark plugs. You really should not drive it while it is doing this as it may cause enging damage and may damage you catalytic convertors.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
c_law23

Yikes! well i havent driven it since that day, except i started it yesterday and the light didnt come on. I drove it around the block and the light came on steady but the engine acted the same, vibrated. what are the ballpark figures for coil packs?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM
cupton

I had to replace a few of mine last year and I think Nissan charged me about $90 each. Autozone had them for around $75 but were 3 days out so I opted for Nissans. If you have an obd2 code reader it should tell you which one is misfiring. If you take it to Nissan they will tell you you need to replace all 6 and I think they charge around $900 to do it. There may be other issues that cause the light to flash but I read somewhere if it is flashing it is warning you not to drive it. It was pretty simple to replace the coil packs and the plugs. Just had to move a few things out of the way. On the rear driver side I have to remove some little valve or sensor ( sorry can't remember what it was ) but it was easy, just had a little o-ring that I had to watch out for. Other than that just a few bolts for wiring harneses and plates.
Hope this helps and good luck
Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM
2015 Rogue

About $90 each
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 PM
c_law23

I went and had it read and i believe that it was P0402. he just told me 402 and that it was cylinder 2 misfire. He thought it was a bad plug, so i bought a new plug and changed it out. It def. needed it, but that wasnt the problem. It's doing the same thing. They didnt have any wires in stock so i havent tried to replace the wires yet. I thought i would put in whats going on before going any further and get some ideas. My brother in law just pulled a good motor out of a wrecked 2002 Isuzu and said the coil packs should be the same?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:36 PM
cupton

I'm pretty sure the coil pack will be different. You probably need to stick with the made for Nissan coil packs. Although Nissan charges $90 each, I know I have seen after market ones for less, just not available immediatley. I believe Auto Zone wanted around $70 and have seen them on Ebay for much cheaper. Also, I know on the '01 Pathy the # 1 cylinder has a different coil pack than the other 5 .
Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 PM
c_law23

A friend of mine was able to call the nissan parts dept and use his discount ( he works at a benz dealership, but the same ppl own both) and got me the coil for $65. I should have it friday. I really hope that this is it, i need my car back. Ive been driving the wife's blazer and Im just not a big fan.

Thanks Cupton, your description was very helpful.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
c_law23

I put the ignition coil on today and it is no longer misfiring or running rough. I took it for a drive and stopped a few places and everything was fine.

The SES light stayed on however but didnt flash. Will it eventually clear itself off?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 PM
cupton

Not sure, It may have to go through a certain # of drive cycles before it clears. I cleared mine with an OBD2 reader after I installed my new coil and it never came back. If it does not go off in a few days go by Autozone or the like and have them either clear it or read it as there may be another issue.
I know my Pathy engine light was on so often that I purchased an OBD2 code reader myself. You can pick one up at Walmart for about $80, I think. And with it you'll be able to clear codes instead of waiting for the allowed # of drive cycles. Good luck
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
c_law23

Went by autozone and got it cleared out, nothing has come up yet and everything is running smooth. i have my fingers crossed, thanks for the help everyone!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM
2012 Altima

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
I went and had it read and i believe that it was P0402. he just told me 402 and that it was cylinder 2 misfire. He thought it was a bad plug, so i bought a new plug and changed it out. It def. needed it, but that wasnt the problem. It's doing the same thing. They didnt have any wires in stock so i havent tried to replace the wires yet. I thought i would put in whats going on before going any further and get some ideas. My brother in law just pulled a good motor out of a wrecked 2002 Isuzu and said the coil packs should be the same?
THE PROBLEM:
If the P0402 comes back again, it is definitely the catalytic converter (the one right after the header/down pipes, where the 02 sensor is). The combination of Nissan engines (which typically run very hot) and years of use wear out the "honeycomb" filter that is in the catalytic converter. As the filter deteriorates, it creates an obstacle for the engine to properly exhaust the gases, hence its almost like a popcorn machine in there.

These smaller fragments can get temporarily jammed in one or several of the header head and the engine tries to blow it out causing it to popcorn back up to another header head. I hope this makes sense. Thus you experience the sensation of a misfire, or rough idle..but it is an exhaust problem.

THE FIX:
Regardless, the FIX is to replace the first Catalytic converter (be careful not to damage the 02 sensor). Most of them are bolted from the engine head to the second cat converter (under the car). Remember to ALWAYS change the Exhaust gaskets (there are 2, one from the engine and the other to the second cat converter) when installing a new head gasket.

The aftermarket price for this is about 400$ and about 800$ from the dealer. I have installed an aftermarket cat converter on an 04 altima who had the same symptoms and error code and it has been fine ever since. (3 months so far). Code disappears, engine runs incredibly smooth, and cools better since the hot exhaust gases can now escape freely without obstruction.

good luck.

Tags
2001, check, engine, flashing, light, path