Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Synthetic Motor Oil Forums > > Synthetic Motor Oil Synthetic Motor Oil
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-21-2006, 10:59 AM
grahambw

Default Synthetic Motor Oil

Does anyone have experience with MOBIL 1 synthetic motor oil?...Am considering using in my 2005 Pathfinder....Any problems with oil pressure, etc.?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

yeah, great stuff. pressure increases but not that dramatically on a new motor.

check your owner's manual (OM) and make sure it doesn't effect the warranty; not sure if nissan recommends it during the break in period but some manufacturers do.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
grahambw

The suv has 6000 miles, so it should be broke in...Warranty remains in effect, no disclaimer against synthetic oil...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Bladen1

I just changed my oil (05 Pathfinder LE) and put in Mobil 1 7500 Clean synthetic Blend, I have 11,780 miles on it now...thought about going full synthetic Mobil1 Extended Performance...but still am on the bubble on running full synthetic....I know it doesn't void the warranty or anything like that.....just haven't done enough research on it yet.....more than likely I will though....running the Mobil 1 full synthetic on my 04 Honda CBR1000RR and it seems to run well......so probably next oil change I'll put the Pathy on the syn........
Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 AM
grahambw

Sounds good....I'm hoping the Synthetic will keep engine free of varnish, etc....What are the diff. manuf. techniques ( if any) that allow Porsche, Corvette, BMW, etc. to run full Synthetic from the factory and others conventinal oil?....If its just the cost, I will go with synthetic
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

cost of manufaturing what? the oil or the motors? not sure what you mean by that anyway.

today's motors are better then the old ones thus they can be run on synth right off the bat. not much of a break-in period on most cars, at least the foreign ones. M1 is recommended by mercedes and bmw, not sure about 'vette. personally i really like M1 and have used it for years now but i also blend it when i put it in new to me vehicle, slowly increasing the amount of synth with every change. my pathy is not fully synth yet and not sure it will be since i am pretty hard on it when i go offroad and i like to change the fluids often. after i do my timing belt i just may go full synth though. still comtemplating. i know of quite a few folks who use amsol also and they seem to be satisfied.

as to leaks, the synth oil only shows you where they are, it doesn't cause them. you already have the holes there just dyno oil (or the sludge enyway) has them plugged up.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
grahambw

Actually, I was referring to the engine manufacturing, are there any manuf. diff. (diff. materilas, etc.) that allow the use of Syn. directly from the factory while others keep saying the engine needs a breakin period, makes no sense...As to the cost, I was referring to the cost of Synthetic, most of the cars that come with it are bought by people who don't mind spending the extra for Syn, wondering if the manuf. of "common" vehicles recommend conv. b/c that is all people who buy them will use (BTW, I am not one of those Porsche owners, just don't mind spending extra on my $30 grand vehilce b/c that money is hard to come by and want to maintain it to the max)
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 AM
2001Maxima

Default Full synth oil at 90k miles

Sorry, guys, just noticed this was posted under Pathfinder...

I have a 2001 Maxima and want to go to full synthetic. Someone suggested the mileage might be too high to do it at this point. Any thoughts?

Last edited by 2001Maxima; 08-26-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

and the milage on your car would be...?

never mind, 90k, i saw your other thread: https://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxima/880-synthetic-oil-90k-miles.html

Last edited by momud; 08-26-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier Crew Cab
2012 GTR
2004 s/c 4x4 frontier

i do not think there should be any problem with using sythetic. i changed my mustang to synthetic at 80k and now has 137k and still running strong.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:53 AM
kogvos

I changed to 5w-30 synthetic (Castrol Edge Sport as it's called in Australia) at my 10,000km service. Can't say about the oil pressure but I would imagine it would be more stable than mineral. Temperature seems to be fractionally cooler but that could just be the engine loosening up, fuel consumption has improved approx 2 litres per 100km on a long run - hasn't changed significantly around town.

Car has now done nearly 24,000km and has barely used any oil - certainly not enough to top up.

Regards,

Jamie
Old 04-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Sorry for the slight change in topic here, but what brand oil do the dealerships use? I know they don't supply synthetic, but are the oil changes worth the money at dealerships?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:50 PM
2015 Rogue

They don't really use anything specific. The last dealer I worked for used quakerstate for a while and then switched to valvoline. I have seen others use just about any brand you can think of. They usually use whatever they can get the best deal on.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

The dealers around here use NISSAN oil.

Tags
motor, oil, synthetic