Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
My Noisy Pathfinder Forums > > My Noisy Pathfinder My Noisy Pathfinder
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
KBY

Default My Noisy Pathfinder

Hi all,, new to the forum, first post, and already asking for help....lol
My 2004 pathfinder recently started making a squealling/screaching noise coming from the serpentine/pulley area, passenger side.
I treated the seprentine with some belt dressing and the noise initially went away, but after two days of driving, its now back louder than ever.
This cant be normal belt noise, and I have never heard such a loud noise before that would be related to a belt. The funny thing is that the noise was temporarily alleveated with the belt dressing spray, so one wouldnt think that its a bad pulley or bearing since just spraying the belt was a temp fix...:confused:
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,,,, thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Frank ZZR

My 04 made that exact same noise. I sprayed dressing on, it went away for a couple of hours then got much worse for a day or two. Then one day the noise disappeared and has not returned. this was almost 3 months ago. You can try crawling underneath, remove the plastic belly shroud and take a wire brush to the inside of the belt while its turning. This cleans up some of the glazing and will most likely solve your problem. If this fails, install a new belt.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

How many miles or km's on the engine? May just need to replace it if the maintenance schedule recommends it.

Coolant dripping on it would cause that noise also and come back again after applying belt dressing to it.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 AM
KBY

Thanks for the replies, I might try cleaning it, but I inspected the belt and it looked fine. I have 38,000 miles on it, and I believe the book recommends changing around 32,000. Im in Denver, and we are experiencing some weather and freezing temp issues for the past couple months, seems to have increased the noise level, but was still making the noise in warmer temps before we got hit with all the snow.
Also, I was looking last night trying to figure out where the tensioner is located. On my Ford truck, its right in plain site, and changing out the serp was easy, but after looking at the pathfinder, there are 2 belts.
1 for the PS, Alt, fan, the other for the AC and both share the crank pulley.
Im obviously not a master mechanic, but I can turn a wrench, and Im scratching my head trying to figure out were to begin relieving the tension to remove the serp.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

those main accessories (alt&ac) probably have a tensioning screw on them. look closely. btw. your noise is probably from the belts. they start squeeking when they lose tension which happens over time as they wear out. change them if you're over the recommended interval.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
KBY

Yes, your correct..... there are two idler pulleys, and you have to loosen the bolt on them first, then from underneath the shroud, once removed, you can access the tension screws. Hope this info helps out others with the same problem.
Even though my original belts checked out fine upon initial inspection,,,, no cracks, or visible wear,, at 36,000 miles,, they were the cause.
I changed both serps out and problem solved.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

cool, glad you fixed it. enjoy
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
paddymack

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier that has chronic belt squealing during cold starts in the morning. I've had the belt replaced a few times since I bought it new and the dealership says they've checked all the pulleys (+ idler, tensioner, etc). The warranty will be expiring soon so I'm pretty frustrated with this vehicle. When they replace the serpentine belt the issue goes away for 6 months or so.

Tags
noisy, pathfinder