Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Pathfinder - Rough Idle ->Stall -> No Start Forums > > 2000 Pathfinder - Rough Idle ->Stall -> No Start 2000 Pathfinder - Rough Idle ->Stall -> No Start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 AM
mmoon

Default 2000 Pathfinder - Rough Idle ->Stall -> No Start

Good morning all,

I've done some reading for a couple of months and we've tried some of the diagnostics/repairs in others' posts so I thought I'd put this out here for further guidance.

I have a 4WD 2000 Pathfinder with ~117k miles. The issues started a while back (months and months) with an occasional shudder/twinge while driving. Then it moved to on a rough idle. Then it got worse and I noticed when driving on the interstate a sort of antifreezey, sickly smell. The next step was that it stalled a couple of times while idling, but started right back up.

I think at this point we replaced the distributor cap and plugs and wires. There was a cylinder misfire code at some point and a knock sensor code at one point.

Then one day at a light it was idling rough and died. It has not started since then.

We have tested sensors - crankshaft, cam, knock, MAF - all normal
We are not getting any codes.
The engine cranks, but doesn't start - no spark
Can hear the fuel pump turn on
Distributor seems to test fine with multimeter (um, well - fried the first multimeter and had to replace - oops)

We have replaced:

Fuel filter
Timing Belt (it was due anyway)
Water pump
Dist. cap
spark plugs/wires

I'm just not sure what to do next. Any suggestions would be most welcomed. We were pondering taking in the ECM to have it tested? I just don't know. Replace the distributor? Is there a way to check either of these for sure on our own without just buying new ones or trusting the dealership? *sighs*

I really miss my car! Thanks in advance for any help, this is a great place and I have learned so much!

Tags
no spark, no start, rough idle