Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fluid under carpet and along wiring harnesses Forums > > Fluid under carpet and along wiring harnesses Fluid under carpet and along wiring harnesses
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM
1999 Pathfinder
1999 PATHFINDER SE

Default Fluid under carpet and along wiring harnesses

I bought this car about 2 months ago.

Car had been leaking under front of car, more on drivers side between oil filter and radiator area. Slow leak. Since I bought it.

Dash lights and tail lights have not been working either. Wasn't the bulb or fuse. Did some research and something about hooking up an aftermarket stereo could possibly have caused it. I asked previous owner if tail lights went out same time he installed his stereo. I got a yes.

About 1 month ago I noticed carpet looked like something had been spilt so steam cleaned it and it wasn't getting better so pulled up the carpet on the just the sides by the doors and that hole path that the wiring harnesses travel was filled with Red / Brown fluid. It was very sticky and hard to clean.

About 1 week ago I decided to take out the stereo and see if it solves the problem. put a fuse in and it blew. I think under hood and under steering. Cant remember now, but one or two blew. Drove for a couple days after removing with no issues.

A couple days after I left my headlights on for about 2 hours, my neighbor came and told me. next day about 12 hours later car cranked but really sluggish and did not start. Lights were all coming on, so it wasn't the battery, yet. . Charged the battery. Battery had old leakage all over it and positive post had built up green/white on it again, I just wiped it off a few days prior. Battery was making some strange sounds when I was charging it and even after on its own. Put it back in car, tried again, wouldn't crank but had power. Then I started hearing tapping sounds behind the steering wheel for about 30 seconds, then one whine sound and the srs light flashed and then went out. I turned the key, no power at all.

Friend came over and charged battery again and said he tried to start it and heard one "pow" sound (like a fuse blew) under the engine when he tried to start it.

So I'm thinking about those wires that were all wet under the carpet a month prior and trace them all the way up to the steering wheel and cut the tape off of all of them and they have the red brown fluid all the way to the connectors that are behind the steering wheel. take the cover off steering wheel and old fluid up there too in different areas.

About an hour after cutting all wet tape off, sounds behind the steering wheel again and then turned to a constant buzz.

And I've done nothing since because I don't know what to do at this point.
I didn't want to leave anything out and I don't know if any of them are related but I really hope somebody can help.

Tried to attach pictures but it isn't working.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 AM
1999 Pathfinder
1999 PATHFINDER SE

Here's 2 pictures. both behind steering wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Fluid under carpet and along wiring harnesses-sam_2764r-jpg   Fluid under carpet and along wiring harnesses-sam_2775r-jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Long story.

So, I this point the engine is not starting? does the engine cranks?

Are you able to check if there are any engine codes, check if you have fuel pressure and if the there is spark at the spark plugs?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:14 PM
1999 Pathfinder
1999 PATHFINDER SE

I have not checked but I plan to in a couple hours and I'll post and let you know. There must be power last time I checked because of the noises. How do I check the pressure and spark? I've never checked the codes on this car and just learned the box was under the passenger seat. Can you still access codes if there is no power to the car?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM
1999 Pathfinder
1999 PATHFINDER SE

No crank, no power. I didn't have much time to test the battery. tomorrow i will. And i didn't see the obd under the passenger seat like they said online

Tags
steering, wheel, battery, car, lights, fluid, carpet, fuse, sounds, ago, stereo, start, blew, days, hours, tape, month, couple, red, brown, wet, harnesses, bought, power, working