Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
All Models, All Years 2015 Armada 2015 Frontier 2015 GT-R 2015 JUKE 2015 Maxima 2015 Sentra 2015 Rogue 2015 Titan 2015 Xterra 2015 370Z
2014 370Z Coupe Nismo 2014 370Z Roadster 2014 Altima Sedan 2014 Cube 2014 JUKE NISMO 2014 Murano 2014 Pathfinder 2014 Pathfinder Hybrid 2014 Quest 2014 Versa Note 2014 Versa Sedan Concept Models
MyNissan Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Tech Challenge Game Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms Cost Estimator More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts Ultimate Reflector Auto Sun Shades Custom Fit Car Covers Auto Snow Shades Berber Auto Mats Designer Auto Mats Diamond Plate Auto Mats Fashion Auto Mats Hexomats Auto Mats
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Forums > > 2001 Pathfinder Mass Airflow Sensor
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Randy24's Avatar
Randy24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default 2001 Pathfinder Mass Airflow Sensor

Hi all,

Im new here, but familiar with a maxima web site... I have looked all over for forums for pathfinders...only found a couple that deal with older models & serius off roadin, which leads me here!! Very well set up site with lots of good info...thank You!! Here is my question, My wife has a 2001 Pathfinder in which the CEL light has indicated MAF & lean bank 1 & 2... I ordered a remanufactured MAF from Amazon/ Python?? I installed & the truck ran horrible. I put the old one back in & pathfinder runs fine but still throwing codes... I replaced just about every sensor in my Maxima & I basically followed the same procedures/ disconnect the neg bat terminal and changed the MAF... Are there any other proceedures that I am Missing on the Pathfinder... Do I have to reset the computer for the new MAF??? Is there a learning period for the ECU??? any help would be appreciated.. I believe the New MAF maybe bad??? Thank YOU :confused:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
NissanTech's Avatar
NissanTech NissanTech is offline
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California
Age: 44
Posts: 11,733
Thanks: 445
Thanked 508 Times in 459 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Very well set up site with lots of good info...thank You!!
Welcome and thank you for being part of our community.


Quote:
Do I have to reset the computer for the new MAF??? Is there a learning period for the ECU???
No, I think the problem is the aftermarket Air Flow meter, I have seen many car having problem with the aftermarket meters.
__________________
CarZone Auto Repair - Nissan Service Center - Van Nuys CA

Nissan OBD-II Trouble Codes

Show your support to our forums and get unlimited access to the knowledge base files: Subscribe
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Randy24's Avatar
Randy24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default

Just to clarify... The MAF is not aftermarket but "remanufactured" for what ever thats worth...it has the same serial# 's as the old one.. Any suggestions as to where to buy a new one??? My dealership in CT is telling me its $480...Ouch... My maxima one was only $99.00, Also are there any other Nissan MAF's That are compatible??? Like a Maxima one??? Just wondering?? Also, car runs fine with code... But wont go through emmisions with light on...if MAF was bad why would car run Fine??? PS its been on for 2yrs now... emmisions is now due!! Thank you RC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
mpe235's Avatar
mpe235 mpe235 is offline
Moderator
2015 Rogue
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 204 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

The remanufactured airflow meters are rebuilt with non oem parts. That makes them aftermarket. You probably won't find one anywhere but the dealer.
__________________
Nissan Master certified Technician
Hybrid and GTR certified
EV certified
ASE Master Certified.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2007, 06:21 PM
88pathoffroad's Avatar
88pathoffroad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default

FYI: Maxima MAF's will fit Pathfinders and work perfectly. Funny, huh? There's a post around here from someone who's detailed all the details.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
piyushan (11-10-2012)
  #6  
Old 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Bruce Denney's Avatar
Bruce Denney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Thumbs up 88..... thank you

I would like to thank you for this info and the time you put into helping others.
Going to try this tomorrow on our 01 pathy.
Denney
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Bruce Denney's Avatar
Bruce Denney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default

this is that info..... buddy has a 2001 VQ35 Pathfinder and his MAF recently died. He was getting rough idling, stalling, no power, and couldn't rev past 2400 rpms because the car was in fail safe mode. This was more pronounced when the car was cold.

Instead of getting the Nissan specified replacement MAF for $400-$500, I tried a MAF from a 2001 VQ30 Nissan Maxima, part number 22680-2Y001. This is a proven solution for VQ35 Maximas, so I figured it would work with the Pathfinder too since according to the FSM for both Pathfinder and Maxima, the voltage specs are identical:

Idle: 1.2-1.8 V
2500 RPMs: 1.6-2.2

The sensor is direct a direct swap, as is the entire MAF tube, should you not have the Torx bits to pull out just the sensor. The Pathfinder MAF Torx bits had some security pattern while the Maxima MAF did not; I usually just use a T-20 bit to pull the sensor out. Anyway, since I couldn't get the Pathfinder sensor out, I just swapped the entire MAF tube and it was a perfect fit.

I checked this with Dave Burnette of South Point Nissan in Austin TX, who is a reliable source of information and knowledge on Nissans in general, and he thinks that this should work just fine. As you probably figured, I also bought the part from him for $83 plus $15 for 2 day shipping. It would have been something like $5 for regular 3-5 day shipping. Of course, any one of you can call him and get this price, or you can pick one of these up from most dealerships for about $100-$120. If you get this on your own, make sure the part number ends in 2Y001.

Anyway, the car runs fine now and seems like its back to normal. I'll update you again in a few weeks, but I'm confident this alternative solution will work out. Just thought I'd share this with you guys since it seems that blown MAFs are a common fault with these cars.

Link to discussion on this MAF alternative over at maxima.org:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348395

edit by 88: Reply to first post with additional info:

I was actually looking through the 2002-2004 Pathfinder FSMs and see that the MAFs for those are identical except for an IAT thermistor, much like for the 2002+ Maximas in the link above. In other words, this little fix can be done on 2002-2004 Pathfinders as well, but you'd need to pull the IAT thermistor off the existing MAF and clip it into the 2001 Maxima MAF for there not to be a CEL. Even without the IAT, the MAF will work fine but you'll trip the IAT malfunction code.




Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Paul Perry (12-12-2011)
  #8  
Old 10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
mpe235's Avatar
mpe235 mpe235 is offline
Moderator
2015 Rogue
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,313
Thanks: 5
Thanked 220 Times in 204 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Denney View Post
this is that info..... buddy has a 2001 VQ35 Pathfinder and his MAF recently died. He was getting rough idling, stalling, no power, and couldn't rev past 2400 rpms because the car was in fail safe mode. This was more pronounced when the car was cold.

Instead of getting the Nissan specified replacement MAF for $400-$500, I tried a MAF from a 2001 VQ30 Nissan Maxima, part number 22680-2Y001. This is a proven solution for VQ35 Maximas, so I figured it would work with the Pathfinder too since according to the FSM for both Pathfinder and Maxima, the voltage specs are identical:

Idle: 1.2-1.8 V
2500 RPMs: 1.6-2.2

The sensor is direct a direct swap, as is the entire MAF tube, should you not have the Torx bits to pull out just the sensor. The Pathfinder MAF Torx bits had some security pattern while the Maxima MAF did not; I usually just use a T-20 bit to pull the sensor out. Anyway, since I couldn't get the Pathfinder sensor out, I just swapped the entire MAF tube and it was a perfect fit.

I checked this with Dave Burnette of South Point Nissan in Austin TX, who is a reliable source of information and knowledge on Nissans in general, and he thinks that this should work just fine. As you probably figured, I also bought the part from him for $83 plus $15 for 2 day shipping. It would have been something like $5 for regular 3-5 day shipping. Of course, any one of you can call him and get this price, or you can pick one of these up from most dealerships for about $100-$120. If you get this on your own, make sure the part number ends in 2Y001.

Anyway, the car runs fine now and seems like its back to normal. I'll update you again in a few weeks, but I'm confident this alternative solution will work out. Just thought I'd share this with you guys since it seems that blown MAFs are a common fault with these cars.

Link to discussion on this MAF alternative over at maxima.org:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348395

edit by 88: Reply to first post with additional info:

I was actually looking through the 2002-2004 Pathfinder FSMs and see that the MAFs for those are identical except for an IAT thermistor, much like for the 2002+ Maximas in the link above. In other words, this little fix can be done on 2002-2004 Pathfinders as well, but you'd need to pull the IAT thermistor off the existing MAF and clip it into the 2001 Maxima MAF for there not to be a CEL. Even without the IAT, the MAF will work fine but you'll trip the IAT malfunction code.





Thanks for the info. I have never tried the maxima airflow meter in a pathfinder but it is good to know that it works.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
mark350z's Avatar
mark350z
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Maxima MAS works! (2001 Pathy LE 4x4)

bump!!

Saved be 400 bones. It's a crime that Nissan charges $400 more for the same part in the Pathfinder.

Cheers,
Mark
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Jooply (12-20-2012)
  #10  
Old 12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
88pathoffroad's Avatar
88pathoffroad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default

Excellent work, detectives! :D

Cool beans, Mark. Glad to help!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
GSR2000's Avatar
GSR2000
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default

I Had The Same Problem With A 2001 Pathy And I Bought An Original Nissan Maf Number 22680-ad200 And The Performance Of My Pathy Is Incredible, I Search This Maf Number And I Think That Is For A Vq30 Nissan Maxima 2000 Or 2001 But My Pathy Runs Very Great And Improved Performance Hope It Works.







---------------
1996 Nissan Tsuru Gsr 2000
Sr20 Power
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
wagnebr1's Avatar
wagnebr1 wagnebr1 is offline
Registered User

2001 Pathfinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bump

The Maxima MAF worked in my 3.5L 2001 PF as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 AM
01pathy4ever's Avatar
01pathy4ever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have a 01 3.5L pathy, about 2 years ago I started hearing "noises" from the engine during hotter months usually between 2nd-3rd gear and more pronounced going uphill, sounding like gas/air flow seal was not right. No SEL ever came on and everyone thought I was crazy (until they road with me on a 30 degree incline in the middle of July in 3rd gear). But with no SEL on and of course the car won't make that noise when I took it to the dealer, I felt stuck.

The SEL finally came on a year later when my pathy started to be sluggish in the mornings or afternoon when the engine was completely cold. Codes for SEL were bank 1 lean and/or bank 1 and 2 lean. I had replaced the O2 sensors, fuel filter, cleaned fuel injectors, checked for air intake leaks as suggested and finally it came down to the MAF sensor, a $500 part! After reading this forum I tried a Maxima MAF (part 22680-2Y001) for $110 at the dealer and it worked perfectly! Even replaced it myself...almost too easy. Thank you to the original poster!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 AM
tech22's Avatar
tech22 tech22 is offline
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: alliance,ohio
Age: 62
Posts: 2,049
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

I juess it's true when thy say "neccessity is the mother of all inventions"Great job on all the hard work it took on this problem an i"am sure this will help others in the future I'am going to print this intire page to place in my Nissan "Things to know" folder".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
cmanley542's Avatar
cmanley542
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Another 01 with same problem

My '01 has had similar problems for the last year or so. I get codes PO174 and PO171, more often its 0171. Happens every time I drive over 45-50 mph. It has also started to go through a rough idle on a cold start for about 10 seconds before it settles in.

I attempted to change the MAF after doing some research, after changing it out the engine starts, idles fine for 2-3 minutes and then dies. I switched it back to the old one and it starts and holds idle again. Is this indicating a different problem? I didn't disconnect the battery or anything prior to switching out the MAF, should I? Thanks for your help and advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2001, airflow, mass, pathfinder, sensor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.0 Beta 2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.