Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
IS the clutch linked to the functioning of dashboard electronics? Forums > > IS the clutch linked to the functioning of dashboard electronics? IS the clutch linked to the functioning of dashboard electronics?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 PM
2000 Pathfinder

Default IS the clutch linked to the functioning of dashboard electronics?

Hi Y'all Little Red in Costa Rica here. I've got a mystery I need help solving before I head to the mechanic tomorrow.

I have a 2000 Manual Tranny Pathfinder SE. The clutch is 1yr and 3 months old.

1)Today, as hubby pressed in the clutch, it made a static, not really grinding, but a LOUD static type of noise. This noise happened only 1 time before. At that time, we were around the corner from the mechanic. He took it for a spin w/hubby and the noise NEVER happened again. UNTIL....today (2 months later).

2). The clutch has been sticking (I.E. not totally releasing when I release my foot.) Doesn't happen ALL the time, but sometimes, I need to use my foot to pop it back out all the way. I have no problem shifting when this happens, and there is not grinding noise. It just doesn't pop back up after I release my foot (SOMETIMES).

Here is the mystery:

Today, after driving for 3.5 hours without any problems, we parked the car. When we started the car, and started driving, I heard that weird noise when hubby pressed the clutch in. He did it a few times and the noise continued. Then it started to rain like cats and dogs and he went to turn on the wipers and they would not work. He pulled over and put the hazards on. He tried for a few minutes to get the wipers to work but they were dead. I turned on the air conditioning switch to start the defroster...nothing worked. The fan also didn't work. The rear wiper..didn't work, the blinkers didn't work. The turn signals didn't work. ONLY the hazards worked. So I told him to turn off the car, pump the clutch a few times (incase there was air in the line) and restart the car.
BAM! EVERYTHING was back to working and that weird noise the clutch made when he pressed it in was gone. Drove 3.5 hours back home without a problem. Even stopped to grab a bite and turned the car off, and everything was back to normal.

So that is the mystery. Hubby thinks that the clutch and the electronics is connected since you cannot start the car without pressing in the clutch.

I need some clarity on this mystery. I am taking the car in tomorrow and will need to explain this whole thing in SPANISH to the mechanic and would like to see what he says and if his explanation or idea(s) of what the problem is coincides with what you experts tell me.

I and especially hubby would appreciate any thoughts, as we are totally stumped. And since I am sure it will not happen in front of the mechanic (once again), I am sure he will look at me like I am crazy, like he did before.

Thank you,

Famous Red.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I'm not aware of anything clutch-related that would have an affect on the electronics. Perhaps the shutting the car off and restarting it had more to do with getting everything to work that the operating of the clutch? I would be checking the battery and charging system and making sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight.
If you clutch isn't releasing completely, it may be that the clutch release bearing is binding on the shaft on which it slides. It may have not been properly lubricated when it was installed.
I hope your mechanic can help figure out what's going on!

Tags
clutch, dashboard, electronics, functioning, linked