Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
New rattle from the the front of the motor Forums > > New rattle from the the front of the motor New rattle from the the front of the motor
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Default New rattle from the the front of the motor

My 05 Pathfinder has recently developed a "rattle" form the front of the motor. It can be heard from the drivers seat and more obvious at idle.

I am 230km now - could this the water pump or maybe an accessory bearing?

Hoping someone out there has had similar experience...Don't think it the timing chain unless it really bad!

Any suggestions to diagnose further would be appreciated.

PS - The car also shows the P420/430 codes which I think are unrelated (cats), still need to address these at some point.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

get some tool like this: Mechanic's Stethoscope

try finding the location in general and what exactly rattles :)

I've read that R51 Pathfinders of early production years had defect is chain eating up into the tensioners, it can be indeed the case it ate tensioner through.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks! I will try and isolate, could be the tensioner as the truck as has had a whine from the front end of the motor for sometimes, so maybe it's finally worn out.

Is this a big job for DYI? from what I have ready it's $$ to get a shop to repair.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

AFAIK this site has all dealer repair manuals available, so you could check what they recommend when removing chain, likely some special stopper tool needs to be placed to anchor camshafts, as if it moves, it can nick valves against pistons and your repair will got from $$ to $$$$ in a split-second

as you go in, it would be a good idea to replace a water pump if it was not yet replaced: it sits on the same chain
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by afomenko View Post
AFAIK this site has all dealer repair manuals available, so you could check what they recommend when removing chain, likely some special stopper tool needs to be placed to anchor camshafts, as if it moves, it can nick valves against pistons and your repair will got from $$ to $$$$ in a split-second

as you go in, it would be a good idea to replace a water pump if it was not yet replaced: it sits on the same chain
if it's timing chain related, Technical Service Bulletin # NTB09-128 has the specifics on parts, labor, and tools necessary to do the job, as well as to diagnose the problem
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

This is a pretty big job for the average DIY'er. It can be done, though. A ring gear stopper (which are becoming hard to find for sale) is needed to do it per the TSB method. Otherwise, you can do it without it, but will have to remove the upper plenum and valve covers. I would use Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High Torque RTV sealant instead of what they recommend in the TSB; you can get it in a tube to be used in a caulk gun, which comes in handy as there is a lot of sealant to be laid down on the front cover. In addition to the parts the TSB lists, I would add in the water pump, thermostat, the primary timing chain and primary chain tensioner. It's also a good time to do the serpentine belt and tensioner, if due.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

try the stethoscope, also you can remove the belt easily and check for roughness or play in the alternator pulley, fan clutch, belt tensioner, etc
if it's the belt tensioner, it's not a big deal to replace it, and if you do, replace the belt at the same time

please let us know what you find
Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks all... Removing the belt sounds like a simple first step. Any instructions online for this?

FYI - I made a short video to capture the sounds
https://youtu.be/yLKARrV0oTA
Old 03-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebud View Post
Thanks all... Removing the belt sounds like a simple first step. Any instructions online for this?

FYI - I made a short video to capture the sounds
https://youtu.be/yLKARrV0oTA
scroll down to bottom of this page
on the left side, choose "get the svc manuals"
select your year & model
open the "engine mechanical" section
in the index, choose drive belt replacement
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Pulled off the belt... still have the same sound. Using a metal tube still having a hard time isolating the sound!

I pulled out the VIAS power valve actuator (NTB05-015b). It 'looks' ok, no loose parts on the outer frame, seems solid - what am I looking for exactly, some sort of separation?

Beginning to think it the big nasty... timing chain issues
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

get a proper tool, not a metal tube

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUJZBOO...cs+stethoscope

you will get pretty much the same one at HarborFreight

dryart posted before where to find service manuals.
find the section about replaceing water pump, alternatively get that procedure on youtube

when replacing pump, it is a service port in the front which gives access to the pump and chain around it

you might want to open that port and review your chain condition before committing for replacement
Old 04-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If you've been hearing a whining noise for a long time...a noise that sounds sorta like an old, Ford power steering pump going bad...then, it is very likely that the upper timing chains have been wearing through the guides. If the whining noise is now replaced by rattling, I would be very leery about driving the vehicle any more until it is repaired. If the chain jumps, you will be looking at bent valves and possible engine piston and/or block damage.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Think you pretty much nailed it. Looking into options to get the work done, as I don't have the place or time to take on something like this. Nissan wants an hour to diagnose and then 2-2,500 CAN if it's the timing chain.

I have another independent shop I use and will see if he's interested.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Price will vary depending on whether genuine Nissan or aftermarket parts are used, what is replaced and, of course, labor rate of the shop. So far, the aftermarket timing sets have been okay, but I would stick to a name brand. Most of the time, the guides usually aren't in bad shape, but if you are getting them in a kit, it makes sense to replace them. If you are going by strictly what is listed in the technical service bulletin, I would add to that the primary tensioner and chain and water pump and thermostat is optional. If the serpentine belt has over 70,000 miles on it, I would recommend a new serpentine belt and tensioner and go with the updated style (or "enhancement kit," as Gates refers to it). In the US, the job typically costs around $1200-$1600 and goes up with add-on parts like the water pump, thermostat, etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Should be done tomorrow. One of the upper tensioners was completely worn out the others foot was almost done, same with the main one. The rattle/slap was was main timing chain banging around. Replacing all the timing chain, tensioners and guides + water pump.

Tags
front, motor, rattle