Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Pathfinder: trouble starting when cold Forums > > 2006 Pathfinder: trouble starting when cold 2006 Pathfinder: trouble starting when cold
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

Default 2006 Pathfinder: trouble starting when cold

2006 Nissan Pathfinder
153K miles
Remote starter installed

Toady it was 22 degrees outside in the morning.
I tried to start the car: cranked 1/2 second as usual, not even thinking - no start.
Not turning ignition off, simply making a second attempt, this time around 3-4 seconds cranking - no start.
Turned ignition off, waited 5 seconds -> started in 1/2 second, as usual, stable idle and good performance when driving.

Getting car remotely started over cold days before - sometimes it would not be running by the point I get outside, so considering that remote starter is doing 3 attempts, increasing crank time by 1/2 second every next time (0.5 / 1 / 1.5 sec) - looks like today is not the first time it happens. Initially I though remote's signal did not get to the car, apparently it was not the case.

When temperature is above the freezing point - never have this problem.

Car operates just fine: warms up to operating temperature in under 2 miles, then has 16 MPG in city cycle, which is normal for this gas hog.

Previous maintenance included new NGK Iridium plugs, cleaned injectors, new PCV valve, all new A/F and O2 sensors, new cats on bank-1, new air filter in last 2000 miles.
Had compression checked when worked on other repairs: solid 190-195 PSI all cylinders.

In cartalk.com forum I was suggested it can be a fuel pump assembly check-valve, so that fuel drains back when not under pressure at falling temperature. Seems logical...

I seem not to find this valve to be a separate part, but rather inside a fuel pump itself. Anybody had experience fixing, while not replacing entire unit?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You are correct in that you have to replace the entire fuel pump module to replace the check valve. Before I would do anything like that, I would install a fuel pressure and gauge on a cold night and make sure that it's the problem. I haven't heard of any issues caused by this on these models (I moderate at thenissanpath.com, which has a lot of R51 members, and I'm also a former Nissan Master tech).
There have been some issues with starting in sub-freezing weather due to the ECM on some Nissan models. I'm assuming it's one or more of the circuit board connections that are cracked and causing the issue, because I have heard of people having their ECM repaired by companies that do such (Circuit Board Medics is one such company) and having the problem fixed. I once had a 2000 Maxima that did the same thing, which turned out to be due to a faulty intake plenum gasket. It would contract when cold and cause unmetered air to get pulled into the engine, but, once the engine warmed up and heated up the gasket, the engine would start every time. I found out that Nissan updated the gasket and made it thicker, but never released that information. I haven't seen that occur on VQ40DE engines, however. FYI, the fuel filter also comes as part of the fuel pump module. It's not too bad of a gas tank to remove, as fuel tanks go, but I would suggest getting a new "O" ring and a new clip for the evaporative emissions tube, which often breaks when trying to remove it. It's also best to have the fuel pump retaining ring tool.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast
2012 Altima Sedan
2013 Sentra
2006 Pathfinder

Thank you for suggestions, smj999smj!

When disconnecting the fuel line before, I know for sure that pressure drops to zero minutes after turning the engine off, so it is indeed a check-valve, and indeed would need to replace entire unit :(

Based on what is available on RockAuto, what would recommend as a replacement pump?

2006 NISSAN PATHFINDER 4.0L V6 Fuel Pump | RockAuto

I tend to think that Denso or Beck/Arnley woudl be the best, not sure about Spectra

Last edited by afomenko; 03-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I've had and have heard about too many problems with aftermarket fuel pumps over the years, so I only use OE pumps from the manufacturer in my vehicles; in this case, genuine Nissan. Denso and Beck~Arnley are both good brands and I haven't heard anything bad about Spectra Premium's pumps. Delphi is also a good brand. That said, it's your gamble if you choose anything but Nissan.

If you are looking for the retaining ring tool, it's OTC #6599:

Super Deal on OTC 6599 Fuel Tank Wrench at ToolPan.com

Tags
2006, cold, pathfinder, starting, trouble