Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Help.  security light on solid when trying to start turns over but wont start Forums > > Help.  security light on solid when trying to start turns over but wont start Help. security light on solid when trying to start turns over but wont start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 07:21 AM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Pathfinder

Question Help. security light on solid when trying to start turns over but wont start

I recently lost my 2001 pathfinder 3.5 (fourth letter D in VIN) to a sloppy timing chain causing 5th cylinder issues...so very sad. Priced a new used engine and comes in about $1500 bucks!

Yesterday I came across a 2001 pathfinder 3.5 (fourth letter D in VIN) for half of what an used engine runs. Great right....well here is the ad...

Ran and drove good, 4x4 works, until... Idol Control Valve went bad, this caused ECM to go bad, common problem on these cars. The Idol control valve and ECM have been replaced, now the car only needs to be brought to the dealership to have the ECM programmed to accept the chip in the keys. Until that happens the car will not start, built in security system immobilizes the car it the key is not recognized.

upon further questioning.....owner said,

The new ECM came with a entire new ignition switch and key, but I did not switch them, I will give you the ignition, key, old ecm, and old idol control valve.
The ICV went bad, causing the car to not idol at all, it would stall, then it is what caused the chip on the ecm to burn.

Originally I was going to buy just for the engine....knowing I run the risk of it being bad since it won't start and only turns over as if it is not getting gas. But this one is in much better shape than mine soooo.... I did further research and I learned that after changing the ICV a RELEARN Procedure must be completed. (afraid to ask if he did this cause I don't want him fixing it...lol) You must also do relearn after installing a new ECM.....but even more important if you install a new ECM you MUST install new ignition that came with it, not just change out chips, because the immobilizer is part of the ignition and all three, key, ECM and Immobilizer must be synced. I was told by a mechanic this morning that by failing to change ignition too, the security system has engaged. And that if I put in the ignition that came with the ECM, do relearn, the problem should be fixed, without needing further assistance to have the system synced.
Does this sound like solid advice?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Pathfinder

Don't everyone talk at once......LOL
Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 PM
2015 Rogue

You will needs to have the keys programmed. You shouldn't have to change any other part besides the ecm. The existing keys can be registered to the used ecm. A locksmith or dealer can do this for you.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Pathfinder

So even if the computer, key and immobilizer are from the same vehicle, I need to have them flashed? Thank you.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

If the ECM has been left unpowered for a long length of time, which I assume it has, it's possible it may have lost the memory. It sounds like you need to get the key initialized to the ECM. Having the NATS (anti-theft) codes read with a capable scan tool would give more information in regards to why the security system is not disengaging. The security system disables the fuel pump, which is why it will turn over but not start. As mentioned, you really didn't have to change out the key nor the immobilizer, just replace the ECM and have all of your keys initialized to the new ECM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:04 AM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Pathfinder

Thank you.
I ended up purchasing it and bringing it to my dads..lol Since the previous owner only changed out the ECM, we went ahead and installed the Ignition and Immobilizer that came with the ECM. We then did the unlock procedure, which took the car outta lock mode. Upon trying to start the security light remains off, no longer on solid. Blinks when key is off. So the system is no longer locked. But it still won't start. Just rolls over, difference being I can smell the faint smell of fuel now under the hood. The mechanic I spoke with told me via the phone that when you put a used EMC and the corresponding ignition that I wouldn't need to have everything synced. So here are my questions,

1) Wouldn't the Immobilizer still be engaged or reengage after 5 attempts, if I need to have EMC synced?

2) New PF is 2001 LE 3.5, the EMC the last owner bought was out of a 2001 Infiniti Qx4, my research shows the EMC is interchangeable with PF LE. Then does that mean I MUST have it synced because it is from a different model car?

3) If the answer is yes to #2, can I take my ECM/Ignition out of my 2001 PF SE (same engine as LE) and put that in the LE and avoid having to go to a garage?

Obviously I am trying to save money....don't have a lot of it..lol

4) Let's say everything is communicating, and the non start is something OTHER than the ECM, the last owner changed the Idol Air Control Valve also, he claimed this going bad is what caused the ECM to fry. My research shows that upon changing the valve you must do the relearn procedure. I am not sure this got done, and I cannot do it because it won't start. Not doing the relearn immediately after changing the valve wouldn't stop it from starting later, right?

5) Original issue (prior to valve and ECM replacement) was stalling and refusing to idol. What other parts, fuses, valves or relays could cause this?

6) I have the Original ECM, upon opening it, I can see the burnt chip/resistor, no damage to board itself, if I send it in to have it repaired and put the original ignition in will I still need to have it flashed by a garage?

Thanks again for your help. I got a great deal for the LE at $700, knowing the engine can always fit in my SE, worst case. I priced a junk yard engine, they run $1500 at 200,000 miles. But because the LE is in much better shape, and has the amenities I really wanna fix it!

Last edited by StephanieM; 02-24-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Pathfinder

Default yay it started!!

So I did as the mechanic said and installed the ignition and immobilization unit, that came with the new ECM..was able to get it out of lock mode, but still wouldn't start. So after a bunch of web surfing I found mention to an eccs fuse, located under hood on passenger side, 10 amp. It was bad! changed it and she fired right up. She is still throwing some codes but the biggest challenge has been beat! Thanks for your help.

Tags
cranks but wont, ecm, icv, immobilizer, light, security, solid, start, turns