Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Pathfinder LE, Low oil Pressure at Idle Forums > > 2006 Pathfinder LE, Low oil Pressure at Idle 2006 Pathfinder LE, Low oil Pressure at Idle
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Default 2006 Pathfinder LE, Low oil Pressure at Idle

I read the article about the 2005 Pathfinder and still didn't see if anyone found a fix. So basically I purchased this vehicle with 122,000 miles (now has 128,000) and notice the pressure gauge was maxed out (sending unit had gone bad), so I replaced it myself and everything was fine. About 2 weeks ago I changed the oil myself (pennzoil platinum, with a purolator filter). A few days later I was at a stop light and my oil pressure gauge needle caught my eye, it was bouncing up and down, but continued to inch down, but not to the point where it would set off anything on the instrument gauge. Light turned green, needle goes back to the half way point and stays consistent until next red light and same thing. Next day I paid attention more and noticed this only happens after driving for a period of time allowing the oil to heat up. I called my friend down at the local Nissan shop and said replace filter with OEM and start there. Changed it out 2 days ago and still the same. Anyone found a fix yet??
Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Did you replace it with a genuine Nissan oil pressure sender? I've heard of a lot of problems with the aftermarket replacements.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:54 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Yes I did replace it with a aftermarket one, my father being a sales rep in the aftermarket business makes it hard for me to buy from the dealership when I can get parts for hardly nothing, but my friend at nissan, his next question was the same you ask. Once I replaced the oil sending unit everything seemed alright, changed it about a month before I seemed to notice the oil pressure going crazy.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscott1318993 View Post
Yes I did replace it with a aftermarket one, my father being a sales rep in the aftermarket business makes it hard for me to buy from the dealership when I can get parts for hardly nothing, but my friend at nissan, his next question was the same you ask. Once I replaced the oil sending unit everything seemed alright, changed it about a month before I seemed to notice the oil pressure going crazy.
I have a 2006 pathfinder have the same problem these past 3 weeks brought to mechanic and the 2 silicone gaskets behind the timing belts are bad had them replaced $2.200 along with the tensioners and other gaskets as it is alot of parts to remove got it back drove it 2 days still the gauge goes down when at idle mode in park or at a red light.
i have it back at the mechanic now will post you a update as i have replaced everything gaskets,oil pump,oil pressure sensor. could be i bought a defective part i dunno yet. by the way the gaskets behind the timing chains are built into the actual plate that covers the front part of the engine $625 just for that alone but i was forced to buy it it was the only way to get gasket.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Thank you for the info, it's crazy all the work and still didn't fix the problem, and I've read other post about pathfinders and other nissans with the same problem, and for some to say it's "normal" is hard for me to swallow. If I had a piece of mind knowing the vehicle is alright and it's just a "glitch " then I'll just forget about and continue to enjoy the vehicle but I'm the kind of person who gets bothered then anything needs to be fixed on my vehicles.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:08 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmiller View Post
I have a 2006 pathfinder have the same problem these past 3 weeks brought to mechanic and the 2 silicone gaskets behind the timing belts are bad had them replaced $2.200 along with the tensioners and other gaskets as it is alot of parts to remove got it back drove it 2 days still the gauge goes down when at idle mode in park or at a red light.
i have it back at the mechanic now will post you a update as i have replaced everything gaskets,oil pump,oil pressure sensor. could be i bought a defective part i dunno yet. by the way the gaskets behind the timing chains are built into the actual plate that covers the front part of the engine $625 just for that alone but i was forced to buy it it was the only way to get gasket.

Did you ever figure out the problem? Thanks
Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Yes it is fixed it was the gasket behind the timing chain cover the gasket is built into the entire front plate of the engine ans was the cause of the oil pressure drops. i went as far as replacing the oil pressure sensor and the oil pump itself to cover all bases even the water pump to as it sits now inside the front plate. Some bullshit nissan engineering every mechanic i talked to said the same thing nissan really screwed people over when they engineered where the water pump and timing plate gaskets good luck and thank you for asking as i lost this link to reply
Old 06-16-2016, 10:11 AM
2006 Pathfinder

It is a big job and alot of work and you are stuck replacing other gaskets because they have to be removed to get inside good luck
Old 06-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The water pump isn't so bad of an engineering design. You can replace it without removing the front cover via the access plates. The nice thing about have the water pump driven by the timing chain is that with an all aluminum engine, you really don't want to overheat it. With a chain driven pump, the coolant will be circulated even if the serpentine belt breaks while driving. You essentially can drive the vehicle without the belt as long as there's enough juice left in the battery to run the engine and as long as you can "man-handle" the steering without power assist.
There really aren't too many "modern" engines that are easy to work on nor have any problems.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:23 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Thank you for this advice. As i was driving yesterday the car completely shut off and now i have service engine soon coming on. i checked all fluids everything is fine i think maybe a sensor is gone bad. At this point after all this work i feel like wth. Thank you
Old 06-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Possibly... A cam or crank position sensor would do this. You'll need to get the code(s) retrieved.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 AM
2006 Pathfinder

I had a code read on the system last night and yes it is a crank shaft sensor
Old 09-14-2016, 03:03 AM
2006 Pathfinder

How hard would it be for an at home mechanic to replace this gasket? Or about how much would I be looking at if a shop does the work? Have spent 3000 on my pathy due to timing chain breaking and doing some damage to valves and heads and all else that entailed. Car drove fine for the first week or so after I got it back and then started having oil pressure drop once let off gas and car was at operating temp.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

"How hard" is something I can't answer as I don't know of your mechanical skills nor what tools you have. It is not an easy job and is a time consuming job, as the front cover and timing components have to be removed to even access the rear timing cover. At that point, you can remove the rear cover to access the seals. You would need the ring gear stopper to do this job, which is a tool that is getting hard to find, to do the job without having to remove the upper plenum and valve covers, which adds more time and expense. Here's a link to a part diagram to give you an idea:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Front Cover,Vacuum Pump & Fitting

As far as price to do the job, your best bet would be to get a couple of price quotes from reputable shops in your area.

Tags
2006, idle, low, oil, pathfinder, pressure