Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1999 pathfinder le distributor replacement Forums > > 1999 pathfinder le distributor replacement 1999 pathfinder le distributor replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-10-2015, 05:07 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Default 1999 pathfinder le distributor replacement

Would like to know how to replace, I got ball bearining shavings in distributor, they tell me I need to replace distributor
Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Unplug distributor harness and remove distributor cap. Use a Sharpie or crayon to mark the location of the rotor to the distributor housing as well as the location of the hold down bolt to the distributor base. Remove the hold down bolt (12MM) and pull the distributor straight up; as the distributor pulls out of the engine, the rotor will turn as the drive gear has angled teeth. Mark the final location of the rotor to the housing. Make marks in the same locations on the new distributor housing. On the new distributor, align the rotor to the "final location" mark. Set the new distributor down into the engine with the housing in the same orientation as the old distributor. As the drive gear engages the camshaft, the rotor will start to turn as you lower the distributor into the engine. When the distributor is fully installed, the rotor should now line up with the appropriate mark on the house you made. Install the hold down bolt, cap and plug in the harness connector. Start the engine, warm up the engine and adjust the timing per the factory service manual procedure using a timing light.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:45 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Thanks for the input. Replaced carburator as you said. All lined up but the the pathy just will not start, turns over but nothing I can smell gas still no go any suggestions? Thanks in advance. I do get spark from coil. Checked it just case .

Last edited by Manny; 10-11-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Carburetor or distributor? When you crank the engine does the rotor turn? Of not, you have a broken timing belt. If it does turn, do a compression test. It's still possible that the belt has jumped, but it could also be the lack of spark caused the cylinder walls to get washed with fuel or the oil contaminated with gas, causing a lack of compression.

Tags
1999, distributor, pathfinder, replacement