Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
lost my get up and go power Forums > > lost my get up and go power lost my get up and go power
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 03:06 PM
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Pathfinder

Default lost my get up and go power

yes i have a 1998 pathfinder it doesn't have a muffler but I lost my get up and go power but after I get going it drives normally I just need to know wat to fix to get my get up and go power
Old 08-01-2015, 06:07 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

I'm NOT going to claim this will help you. 3 years ago my daughter bought a 1998 Pathfinder V6 4WD, test drove it around level Phoenix, seemed fine, 90K miles. However, she lives 140 miles up in the mountains in Flagstaff, reported low power on the hills. A AAA-approved shop in Flagstaff tried to find source of the lack of power, came up empty, suggested maybe throttle body cleaning which she didn't have done. Even a Phoenix shop couldn't diagnose, both said it should have more power.

April 2015 she had a misfire, that Flagstaff shop diagnosed as bad spark wire, recommended spark plug, distributor cap, and distributor rotor replacement. I installed those, misfire was gone, she took on a 4-mile lower speed test drive. I returned to Phoenix, and half hour later she reports that she's stalled on the roadside, won't start, 400 yards from her place. AAA tows Pathfinder to the Flagstaff shop, they diagnose as a bad coil inside the distributor, hard to locate/access, and want $600 more for a new distributor install.

Instead I buy a distributor for $82 shipped from Ebay retailer who is selling 6 of these a day, 10-year warranty !!! So we figure to install this and then sell the Pathfinder, she's sick of breakdowns and lack of power. Anyway, I install the distributor, adjust the timing, and now the Pathfinder has the power we had not observed before.

I'd say those two shops "had to" have checked timing at idle when they were diagnosing lack of power, but that's my assumption. I never checked that either.

So my guess is that the ignition timing was not advancing enough on the old distributor, or possibly that the coil inside the distributor couldn't put out at faster spark rate. Anyway, daughter is thrilled, plans now on keeping the Pathfinder, as no rust, 124K now, runs great, looks good.

Tags
lost, power