Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Pathfinder LE U-joints Forums > > 2006 Pathfinder LE U-joints 2006 Pathfinder LE U-joints
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default 2006 Pathfinder LE U-joints

If anyone is getting a slight vibration during 40-60mph they may want to check the u-joints. I went under my pathfinder a week ago and noticed a that the front drive shaft had movement when i tried to rock the shaft back and forth. The Back shaft was solid. The dealer mentioned in the past that they were going bad but I didnt want the dealer to do the service since they were going to bill me over $500. I went to the Nissan Dealer and purchased 2 u-joints for $62.50 each. I know they are exspensive and I could have used aftermarket but I have a buddy that owns a import shop (very successful) and he hates aftermarket on imports, Specifically Toyota and Nissans. After reading , it seems the Nissan u-joints were the way to go. I could not find any good tutorials through the Nissan Forums on replacing the u-joints but did find some very good step by step tutorials on Utube. It is pretty straight forward though. Just remove the 8 bolts. 4 on the front of the drive shaft and 4 on the back. Before removing the Drive Shaft make sure to draw a line on the shaft, knuckle, etc... The main point of that is to make sure you put it back the exact way you took it off since the drive shafts are balanced a certain way. It took me about 4 hours to complete the main reason was it took me 2 hours to remove the bolts because they were super tight. I also took my time becaseu i wanted it perfect. I was super happy with the repair. The pathfinder drives great and it even got rid of a slight clicking with every revolution of the tire. The oddest thing about the u-joints replacement was that only one of the needle bearing housing looked bad out of the 8 on the front axle. The most important thing after making sure the axle goes back the same way it came of is to make certain that the needle bearings in the housing stay in place. I have read a ton on people taking multiple trips to the dealer to get u-joints changed multiple times. I think the reason is that the dealer is not taking the time to ensure that the needle bearings are in the right place. Good Luck. Its worth the effort to do it yourself and know its done right.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Thanks for the info. and hopefully our community will benefit from it.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM
2006 Pathfinder

I had the very same vibration on my '06 SE (approx 110,000km). I had all 4 U-joints changed with aftermarket parts. The problem went away immediately. You can't always determine if they are good by visual inspection. I couldn't feel any play in the joints, but 2 of the fittings fell apart when removed. My new U-joints have grease fittings, so I just need to remember to grease them once in a while.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default u joints

just wanted to follow up on this repair. I replaced the front drive shaft u joints and have driven the car on a family vacation and back. A total of 2000 miles. The vibration is still gone and I couldnt be happier that I chose to do this repair myself.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Default 2006 Pathfinder bad u-joints

After reading the post i realized that I had bad u-joint. At 94000 miles i had vehicle vibration while accelerating starting from about 40 m/h and a clicking sound with every revolution of the wheels while going slow.

I took my truck to Kings Nissan dealer in Brooklyn and they diagnosed that both u-joints needed to be replaced. they charged me $63 for each u-joint and $160 labor. By the way they called replacement parts Journal Kit.

My research into this issue suggested that aftermarket u-joints with lube in cap may be better and last longer because u-joints will always be lubricated as opposed to 'dry' Nissan OEM ones.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default rear shaft u-joints

Was driving my 06 pathfinder LE and noticed a rumbling when accelerating at over 40 MPH. When I take my foot off the gas the rumble stops. I already changed the front drive shaft u-joints about a year ago to get rid of a vibration (that did fix that problem). I went under the truck a few days ago and think the rear axle u-joints are bad. I bought the parts and will replace the u-joints this weekend. Out of habit, I usually replace all of my parts with OEM stuff simply out of having some really bad luck with aftermarket in the past. I went and purchased the OEM u-joints from Nissan (i replaced the front shaft with OEM as well). Some people like to use aftermarket and some don't. Personally, I don't feel like the aftermarket u-joints are as heavy duty but i could be wrong(I also don't want the grease fittings). I will keep the forum posted on the progress and let you know if the vibration goes away. On a side note, anyone looking for a good "how to" on replacing u-joints can search "changing rear axle u-joints on pathfinde" on youtube. There are some pretty good demonstrations.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Aftermarket parts are okay if you stick will quality part makers, like Moog. That said, I know where you're coming from! Certain parts I'll only use genuine Nissan or an OEM supplier to Nissan.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder

Default replaced back ujoints

A follow up on the rumble at over 40 miles an hour(only while accelerating). I removed the rear drive shaft and removed the 2 u-joints. Each u-joint has 4 "caps with needle bearings". Out of the 8 "caps" there was 1 bad. It was rusted out and the bearings were non-existent. I replaced both u-joints and the 06 pathfinder LE runs great. No rumble!!! The rear drive shaft was WAY easier to remove and replace then the front drive shaft. I have replaced the front drive shaft u joints about a year ago so now they are all new. If they go out again, I will try the aftermarket u-joints.

Tags
2006, pathfinder, ujoints