Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Pathfinder squeal Forums > > 2005 Pathfinder squeal 2005 Pathfinder squeal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default 2005 Pathfinder squeal

Hey guys,
I have this squeal thats driving me nuts. It is a rotational squeal that gets faster and louder with the speed of vehicle. So far changed u-joints, rear rotors and pads. The brakes work good and are smooth. This squeal happens without brakes being used. Can hear it with all windows closed but can hear it the most when passenger side window is rolled down.
I did try turning the wheels while jacked and noticed a bit of a bumpyness, almost like being able to feel the bearings turning. Not sure whether that is normal or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a 2005 pathfinder.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Unfortunately without hearing the noise I'll be just guessing what the problem could be, but from you say the noise sounds like is coming from the front wheel bearings or the rotors backing plates making contact with the rotors.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks for the advice. Will be checking fronts today.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Ok so front brakes look good. took everything off and greased them up. all dust shields are not rubbing. could also not find any play when trying to check for wheel bearings. no play in all 4. now rear brakes are new, u-joints changed, fronts greased and looking in good shape but....still squealing like a pig!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Is either front caliper dragging?

I've replaced both of mine as they were sticking. I want to say they both were replaced at around the 150000 mile mark? I replaced one and then just the other as preventative maintenance.

Sort of pissed me off as I flush the fluid in all my vehicles at 2 year intervals.

As far as "bumpiness" goes in the wheel bearings, the only way to check the bearings is with the caliper removed so there isn't any dragging. Should be NO bumpiness/grinding/rough spots. Have replaced both of them as well. I think I noticed roughness during a brake job and just replaced both fronts as a precaution. Aftermarket fronts aren't too expensive as I recall and the job is straightforward. Just be sure you use a torque wrench when reinstalling everything.

Now at 192000 miles and still "plugging along"...

Last edited by Dave1965; 01-16-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks for the reply Dave.
I have since had it to Nissan and the told me it was cheap pads. Also said rotors needed machining. Although to rotors weren't in to bad shape i put on new ones and a higher quality pad. No luck. still squealing. I can compress all 4 calipers so they are not seized. Also don't think ones sticking as the vehicle doesn't pull to one side under any conditions. I'm having someone else look at it and will post results if I get it straightened out.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Problem finally solved. After many visits to one dealership i decided to try another. Within 15 mins they found it was the front right wheel bearing. Covered under extended warranty and no more noise.

Now seem to have a new problem....haven't been out on the highway in awhile but was today. Around 80km/hr the truck started vibrating and there was a loud noise like i had a subwoofer pounding bass. It was happening while accelerating and would stop while speed leveled off then would happen when letting off the gas.Still have warranty until march. anyone else have this happen?
Thanks

Tags
2005, pathfinder, squeal