Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Starter doesn't, intermittantly Forums > > Starter doesn't, intermittantly Starter doesn't, intermittantly
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Have you had problems with starting your Pathfinder?
Yes 11 64.71%
No 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 AM
johnjayr

Default Starter doesn't, intermittantly

2001 Pathfinder LSE
Occassionally, the starter only "clicks" when trying to start the car. Sometimes, after a few tries, it then does start. Or, when we put it in neutral and move the car a bit, it will work. :roll: This only happens sometimes, though. :arrow:

We are far, far away from any Nissan dealer, but the local mechanic said it may need a new starter. However, I remember back in the "old days" when a neutral ignition switch would cause this to happen.

Any wisdom on this? I'd hate to spend over $200 on a starter and find out it was something else! Any troubleshooting ideas?

thanx! :)

jj runnion
Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 AM
holbs

Listen to your dealer its def. the starter. I just replaced the one in my wifes van and when they go they will click a few times and then finally turnover but eventually one day it won t start. YOu posted this a long time ago so youve probably all ready replaced the starter by now.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

yeah, starter is going.. almost gone.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Damian Petty

HI there,
I am having the same problem with my 96 pathfinder. Is it easy to remove the starter so i can take it to an auto electrician? Don't want to have to pay for a tow to a shop if I can avoid it. Any info would be great. Ta heaps.

Damian
Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
bryfry

The internal components finally wear out and you get intermittant contact, hence the "clicking" at times.
One can maybe save a couple of bucks with a local guy rebuild, but it's always better to find one that has a longer warranty (most decent ones are lifetime).
I do believe it's a PMGR (permanent magnet-gear reduction) style starter. If the magnets are damaged inside (good chance), a local guy may have a hard time rebuilding without a decent core.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:57 PM
88pathoffroad

I didn't have any problems tearing mine down and rebuilding it on my garage floor. ;) $7 for brushes and it works good as new. The commutator wasn't even scored one bit. :D

Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Where did you find the rebuild kit?Maybe we can post that for others to use.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Frontier King Cab
1998 Pathfinder
1998 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjayr View Post
However, I remember back in the "old days" when a neutral ignition switch would cause this to happen.
Typically when the neutral safety switch (or clutch pedal switch for manual shift) goes out, then there is no clicking, no noise, no trying to start. And this is pretty easy to check out as well using voltmeter and/or jumper wires.

I'd make sure that ALL cable ends are real shiny clean, and no "emergency type" universal connectors at the battery either. That includes cleaning connections at the starter itself.

Better yet, remove the starter and clean it up real well and lube it, then re-install and try that.

Tags
intermittantly, starter