Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping Forums > > 1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping 1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 06:52 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Question 1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping

Hoping someone can tell me what these lights indicate. Background: I have a 1998 Pathfinder which I just took out of storage after 6 months. The car was started several times during this period, however at one point had to be jumped to start. Also, the check engine light has come on.

It starts fine, but on start - three lights come on and a series of blinking and chirping sounds starts. The photo here shows all the three lights which come on together and then this sequence:
1. Middle round orange light comes on and stays on steady. There is a chirp every 5 seconds which appears to be associated with this light?
2. Small red light on left blinks 3-5 times and chirps then goes out.
3. Small red light on right blinks 3-5 times and chirps then goes out.

While driving the orange light stays on and a steady chirp every 5 seconds. The red lights will blink independently and erratically blink and chirp - I can't really tie blinking to any specific actions.

I haven't been able to find any reference to any of these lights. If it is of any significance, I can somewhat adjust the volume of the chirping with the security knob - but not enough to stop it driving me mad.
Attached Thumbnails
1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping-snip20160524_1-jpg  

Last edited by bb33; 05-24-2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Did you bought the Pathfinder new? Looks like aftermarket lights, alarm possible. There is nothing on the factory service manual about the lighta and I ave never seen the lights either.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:33 AM
1998 Pathfinder

I bought it just a few years ago, so not sure about the aftermarket. It is not apparent that it is not factory installed. But, makes sense as to why I am not able to find any reference to the lights in any manuals.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Picture is a little blurry, but if this is a North American model, I believe that someone put those lights in there. You also mention adjusting the volume with the "security knob." This makes me think you have an aftermarket alarm system, because I am not aware of any factory alarm system put into a Nissan that has a "knob" nor a way to adjust the volume of the alarm (I worked as a Nissan tech from 1985 through 2003). I would suspect that those lights are not bulbs, either, but LEDs, which definitely would be aftermarket, if that's what they are.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 AM
1998 Pathfinder

Sorry about the picture quality, it is a still from a video to capture the flashing...Here are a few more pics showing the left side red light - hard to tell, but it is def a raised light on the black surface (under the plastic see through). The 'security knob' is lower left from the steering wheel. If I turn the knob to the left, the volume of the chirping decreases - but only slightly.
Attached Thumbnails
1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping-fullsizerender-jpg   1998 Pathfinder - flashing lights and chirping-fullsizerender-1-jpg  

Last edited by bb33; 05-25-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Talking

Fixed! The lights are somehow related to the knob in the picture - I still don't know what they are supposed to do, but when I reached to the base of the knob and turned it to center, all the lights went off - and as a bonus, the check engine light went off. Before I was just turning the outside of the knob, which adjusted the volume. No idea why, but I'm leaving it be.

Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate your efforts.

Tags
1998, chirping, flashing, lights, pathfinder