Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 Pathfinder Burning Oil Forums > > 2002 Pathfinder Burning Oil 2002 Pathfinder Burning Oil
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 03-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Goldie

Angry 2002 Pathfinder Burning Oil

I own a 2002 Pathfinder with appromixately 59,000 miles. This suv was purchased with 12 miles on it from the dealer. My oil chage was three months past due when I noticed an occassional oil leak. This only occured when the temperature became very cold. I took my car to a mechanic and he stated that whoever changed my oil previously used a cheap filter. The oil stop leaking after his change, but now I notice that when I startup my suv I see a cloud of white smoke. This was not occurring prior to my change. I told the mechanic he flushed out my engine, but I still have smoke. He stated that sludge could be in my engine and we would have to flush it out again. My suv is still smoking at startups I just want to know if this is a common problem with suvs or am I in for major repair work?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
I own a 2002 Pathfinder with appromixately 59,000 miles. This suv was purchased with 12 miles on it from the dealer. My oil chage was three months past due when I noticed an occassional oil leak. This only occured when the temperature became very cold. I took my car to a mechanic and he stated that whoever changed my oil previously used a cheap filter. The oil stop leaking after his change, but now I notice that when I startup my suv I see a cloud of white smoke. This was not occurring prior to my change. I told the mechanic he flushed out my engine, but I still have smoke. He stated that sludge could be in my engine and we would have to flush it out again. My suv is still smoking at startups I just want to know if this is a common problem with suvs or am I in for major repair work?
Smoking at startups is not a common problem. Since you've stated white smoke and the work your mechanic has done, I'm thinking you have a coolant leak going into your combustion chamber(s). If it were burning oil, you'd see blue or black smoke.

I may be wrong, but go check your coolant level. First quick look is the coolant reservoir, if the engine is still hot. If not, pop the rad cap and check the level.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:37 AM
2015 Rogue

The valve covers on the 3.5L engine have passages that allow crankcase pressure to pass through. These passages get plugged and cause excessive pressures and cause blow by causing the engine to burn oil. Replacing the valve cover usually solves the problem. It is usually the passenger side on the pathfinder.
ASE Master Certified.

Tags
2002, burning, oil, pathfinder