Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
IPDM replaced. Forums > > IPDM replaced. IPDM replaced.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 11:10 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default IPDM replaced.

Had my wife's Patty towed to the dealer with textbook symptoms of failed ECM relay. The dealer came up with a different story. According to them, the IPDM is not sending any signal to the fuel pump. I did not have the time to deal with it and authorized replacement of the IPDM. $ 660.00 total, the part was $ 426.00 I'm ordering a spare IPDM from the internet for $ 300.00 and have it ready for next time. I also have the old part which still have the old relays. This car is getting expensive to operate with only 40,000 miles on it. And yes, the timing chain is getting noisier.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

the ECM relay is covered by a recall campaign
has the ECM relay ever been replaced, even as a step in diagnosis of your current problem?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:18 AM
2005 Pathfinder

Yes, we had the rellay replaced when we got the recall notice in the mail, few years back. I think it may have failed again this time. Unfortunately I haven't got a chance to diagnose the problem my self, before the vehicle got towed. Anyway, the truck, the wife and the dealer are all happy now, after I wrote a 690.00 check (with tax) for something I could have fixed my self by simply swapping the rellays.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I'm not sure what the dealer did to diagnose the problem, but it's a simple test. But do they really want to replace a $ 4.00 relay covered by a recall if they can turn it in to a $ 690.00 sale, simply by blaming something else? And the initial estimate that they gave me over the phone was $ 880.00! Can't blame a guy for trying right?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

i have a deep-seated mistrust of dealerships
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I'm in your club!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

There's always the chance that the problem actually "was" a bad IPDM and not a bad ECM relay, isn't there? I'm not saying that it's not possible that a dealer could have ripped you off, but without doing the diagnostics yourself (other than assuming it's a bad ECM relay because it has similar symptoms), how do you really know? There are a several things that can fail, including the IPDM, that will cause similar symptoms. Nothing wrong with calling a thief a thief, but it's not fair to assume without any proof and because you're unhappy with the cost of a repair.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
1993 Truck

Which part of that "relay box on steroids" are you calling the IPDM? Not trying to be an a$$eloh, I'm just curious? It seems to me thats all the IPDM is... a fancy relay box. Which parts cannot be replaced? Pics would be great.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The IPDM/ER is located on the passenger side, rear of the engine compartment. In some ways it is "fancy relay box," but some of those relays are internal and cannot be replaced. Internal circuits of the IPDM/ER control on-off functions of the relays, CAN communication, etc. and also controls operation of electrical components through the ECM, BCM and CAN communication lines. Also, to save power, it goes into one of three status based on operating conditions (ie "sleep mode").
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
1993 Truck

LOL! I won't even begin to pretend that I know what all that means (too many acronyms) but I do understand what your saying. And now the info willl be here for others to reference. Thanks.

Heres one more:

Is it safe to assume that if the IPDM is failing, the onboard diagnostics device (whatever it's called) does not get the power it needs to do it's job?

Basically what I'm asking is, if we have a problem, but can not get a code from the computer, do we assume theres a problem with the IPDM?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

IPDM/ER=Intelligent Power Distribution Module/Engine Room
ECM=Engine Contol Module
BCM=Body Control Module
CAN=Controlled Area Network

"Basically what I'm asking is, if we have a problem, but can not get a code from the computer, do we assume theres a problem with the IPDM?"

No. With a capable scantool and the Factory Service Manual, one would follow the diagnostic procedures for the given problem.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Default Checking in from 2016

Well it is now 2016 and this problem still seems to exist.

I had to replace the block in '09 in my the '06 Pathfinder, had the recall service in '11 and am now having the same problem again. It has been experiencing slightly slow starts and then went dead (wouldn't turn over - sounded like no fuel) after I parked it for 5 minutes.

After getting it towed to the mechanic, they found the fuel pump was not getting voltage until the IPDM was lifted from it's box, which apparently jarred the ECM relay(?) enough to get it working again. Can't recreate the problem but now I find the car isn't reliable. :(

Nissan won't do anything, they still don't sell the relay, there is now a new black IPDM (the old ones were white-there are at least 2 previous versions) that they sell for $402 at the dealership and you can get for $300 on-line.

The old part with the diode is obsolete and is no longer sold. The new part, Panasonic Electric Works CM1A-R-12V (part # 255-3729-ND), has a resister that supposedly does the same thing according to digi-key. I ordered 2 today.

CM1A-R-12V Panasonic Electric Works | 255-3729-ND | DigiKey

Image of the IPDM - ECM Relay is the culprit:

Warning: I am not a gear-head.....this is just what I have found out. It could all be wrong!

Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot602 View Post
Well it is now 2016 and this problem still seems to exist.

I had to replace the block in '09 in my the '06 Pathfinder, had the recall service in '11 and am now having the same problem again. It has been experiencing slightly slow starts and then went dead (wouldn't turn over - sounded like no fuel) after I parked it for 5 minutes.

After getting it towed to the mechanic, they found the fuel pump was not getting voltage until the IPDM was lifted from it's box, which apparently jarred the ECM relay(?) enough to get it working again. Can't recreate the problem but now I find the car isn't reliable. :(

Nissan won't do anything, they still don't sell the relay, there is now a new black IPDM (the old ones were white-there are at least 2 previous versions) that they sell for $402 at the dealership and you can get for $300 on-line.

The old part with the diode is obsolete and is no longer sold. The new part, Panasonic Electric Works CM1A-R-12V (part # 255-3729-ND), has a resister that supposedly does the same thing according to digi-key. I ordered 2 today.
i see OEM IPDM's available from dealerships on the internet for $168 - $200
the individual relays also should be available as they are necessary to perform the recall campaign
it seems the last time I looked them up they were no more than a few bucks
were it mine, and a new relay is not solving the problem, I'd replace the IPDM assy

........try Trophy Nissan in Mesquite, Texas
Old 07-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The ECM relay is available if you have the white IPDM. The part number is 284B7-CW29E and it retails for $2.18.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:43 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Hmm. Well the parts department at my local Nissan dealership wouldn't sell me the relay and the parts guy said he has been there for two years and always thought it was odd that they don't sell them. I have seen the older fuse boxes for as low as $60 online, but not the new black one.

If things go south I will look further into both options! Thanks!

Tags
ipdm, replaced