Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
new battery w/ 12.6 vdc running voltage Forums > > new battery w/ 12.6 vdc running voltage new battery w/ 12.6 vdc running voltage
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
2008 Pathfinder

Default new battery w/ 12.6 vdc running voltage

10 mo old battery bubbled white crystals. Voltage=12.6 vdc. brand new replacement battery has the same running voltage. cause=voltage regulator??
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Prior to the battery bubbling, did you had any problem with the battery dying?

Quote:
cause=voltage regulator??
It's very likely that the problem is the alternator, but I suggest checking for something else that may be draining the battery.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories? amps, radio, speakers, lights?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM
2008 Pathfinder

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I dont have any aftermarket electrical loads on my vehicle electrical system I set up an appt today with a mechanic, but in the meantime I read voltage with my "real" DVM at the new battery posts with engine running, engine off and engine off with negative connector disconnected. Results: Engine running=14.5 vdc, engine off 12.8, engine off w/negative connector disconnected=12.8. The radar detector battery voltage in all cases read about 1.5 VDC less than my DVM. For now I will assume the new battery was just coming up the charging voltage curve, and that the radar detector voltage is reading low and probably inaccurate. For now I plan to just monitor and check voltages again for the next few days. thanks again
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thanks for letting us know, I hope it was just the battery.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 AM
2008 Pathfinder

I had both an Auto parts store and my mechanic check the electrical system with an alternator checker today. Both said the alternator checked OK-running voltage at the terminals was ~13.5 with all accessories/lights on. I'm still puzzled a bit because the radar detector voltage still indicates a 12.7 v while engine running. I guess if it's not broke, dont fix it. thanks again

Tags
126, battery, running, vdc, voltage, w or