Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Pathfinder SE Intermittent Rough Idle In Gear w/AC on Forums > > 2000 Pathfinder SE Intermittent Rough Idle In Gear w/AC on 2000 Pathfinder SE Intermittent Rough Idle In Gear w/AC on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Default 2000 Pathfinder SE Intermittent Rough Idle In Gear w/AC on

Have 2000 Pathfinder SE, 132K miles, 2WD, 3.3L engine, very reliable, just completed round trip from Florida to Virginia couple weeks back--no problems. Oil and filter change before trip, also air filter brand new.

Last Saturday, filled the tank, and headed off on errands. Engine started "stumbling" at red lights about 5-6 miles from the gas station--slight rumble, then would recover. Happend once or twice at first light for just a few seconds. Ran okay, accelerated normally driving between lights, but was more severe at the next light--longer rumbles, then would recover. Thought it would stall so shifted into neutral and it got better. Then about 1/4 mile down the road it wouldn't respond to pedal. Pulled over and engine died while in the turn. Couldn't re-start.

Tow job to shop where they replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, but said it then ran rough, so replaced plugs and it ran okay. Test drive at shop confirmed worked okay. Wife drove it home and same stumbling issue came up at lights. Then it died in the driveway, but at least re-started.

Since then, have put can of seafoam in the tank, replaced rotor, distributor, plug wires, and pcv. Clearned throttle plate and MAF sensor (neither were really that dirty). Checked EGR valve and lines--okay. Ran out little over 1/2 of the tank so far (since fill up last Saturday).

Problem seems to have improved but still there and we're afraid ole reliable is going to leave us stranded somewhere again. Idles out of gear with A/C off fine. Starts stumbling a little after warmed up and in gear. Stumbles more severe warmed up, in gear, and with A/C on.

By the way, no codes or check engine light. Also, all O2 sensors changed out about 20-30K miles ago.

Only maintenance due/not done is timing belt, which I'll take care of soon (don't owe the factory original anything as its almost 30K past replacement time! ;-).

Anyone out there have any ideas? Bad gas? (doubt it, been gassing up at same station for years). Other valves/sensors/electronics check and/or replace?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:09 AM
kmulholl

you say you replaced distributor. i'm guessing you mean just the cap. i had similar problems, it ended up being the actual whole distributor assembly. if you take the cap off, remove the 2 screws that hold a plastic cover in place, look down in the valley along the shaft. if you see metal shaving (ball bearings that got shredded), i'd replace the distributor. you could try blowing them out and spraying lube (silicone), but that would be very temporary. if you do try the lube, use a smal magnet to lift the dust sheild that covers the bearings.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Correct, replaced cap, not whole distributor. Meanwhile, I popped the cover as suggested and the valley was "pristine." Thanks for the suggestions though. Meanwhile, refilled tank the other day with mid-grade Shell gas and it still runs the same--apparently not bad gas (I didn't think so, but I at least confirmed the assumption).
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
mack101

dormanjl, did this eventually get solved?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Generally, yes--resolved. Ran a few tanks of premium gas with cleaning additives. Stumbles are still there, but much reduced in frequency and intensity--some trips we don't notice any stumbles at all, other days we get a good sized bump, but then it goes away. Still no check engine light or codes so not worth throwing parts at it until we find the fix.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
2000 Pathfinder

Okay, stumbles back with a vengeance, including stalling out occasionally. Okay when starting out, but warmed up in middle of the day its much worse. Came back after I had shop replace timing belt and re-set timing.

Discussed with one of the techs and he suggested either the ignition coil (housed inside distributor) is going bad or something with entire distributor.

Happens mainly at idle, but also noted some "bumps" while driving, particularly going up hill. Tech thinks it might be related to the heat--is getting more toasty out there as we move into summer.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 AM
mack101

Not sure if you answered this before - is the SES light on and have you checked the codes?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 AM
2000 Pathfinder

No lights, no codes. That's one thing that makes this a bugger of a problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 AM
mack101

Really odd. You have already replaced the majority of the maintenance parts and more.

What about a vacuum leak somewhere? Would make sense if it was something that got worse as the temperature got warmer, and expanded.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Taking back to the shop later today for more diagnostics. Will ask them about it and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas and the replies!!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Now shop says ignition coil needs replacing and is reading code that cylinder #6 is misfiring. Scratched my head over a code getting thrown since my code reader said no codes before, so I re-checked with my own code reader and took to Autozone to get them to check...and both mine and Autozone's said no code, so I'm beginning to wonder if the shop gave me some BS answer.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:40 AM
mack101

Did you ask them to move the ignition coil to another cylinder to see if the problem appears there? Seems kinda fishy either way, you should ask to have them show you the printout or whatever.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 AM
mack101

Wait a minute, don't you have a distributor and wires as opposed to coils?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Yes. There's a coil inside the distributor. Seems to have limited availability, but can be found out on the internet. Cost is about 1/3rd price of whole new distributor. Figure its worth a shot, I guess.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Latest update...had complete diagnostics run at the dealer's shop. They replaced the whole distributor. Everything else seems to be in tip top shape after 134K miles--injector spray patterns, compression, etc. Engine bumped and rumbled a few times when I picked it up, but has been running fine since. Yesterday was a real test as it hit 100 degrees.

Dealer tech thinks at least some of the problem may be the increased ethanol in the gas and recommended a bottle of Techron (Chevron additive) every 3rd tank. Have road trip in the Pathfinder planned and have a few bottles Techron ready. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!

Tags
2000, gear, idle, intermittent, pathfinder, rough, w or ac