Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing Forums > > Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-05-2008, 09:05 PM
mmcpeck

Default Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing

I have a '97 Pathy, and the bearing on the pulley in front of the compressor is making a constant grinding noise, whether the clutch on the compressor is engaged or not.

I was under the impression that the pulley could be pulled off and replaced, but a local mechanic is telling me that it needs a whole new compressor because it's all one assembly. The compressor was replaced by Nissan under warranty at about 100k miles, about 60K miles ago, and works fine, A/C blows real cold, clutch engages and disengages no problem.

I was just wondering if it is actually possible to replace just the pulley on the compressor, without having to evacuate the A/C system, pull the compressor off, and then re-charge the system? It just seems rediculous that the entire compressor would have to be replaced, when the only thing wrong is the bearing in the pulley.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Yes, you can replaced just the the clutch, but you have to remove the compressore since the clutch is press in.
Attached Thumbnails
Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing-figure5-gif   Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing-figure6-gif   Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing-figure7-gif   Noisy A/C compressor pulley bearing-figure8-gif  
Old 07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
mmcpeck

Thanks NissanTech, very helpful. I actually went to a Nissan dealer and they told me that the compressor was all one assembly also, and I would have to replace the whole thing. But your attachments look like they came straight from a factory service manual, so now I'm wondering if the dealer is lazy or trying to scam me.

Is there a bearing on that pulley anywhere, I didn't see one in the breakdown. Could it be possible that what I'm hearing is the clutch on the compressor going bad?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
wondering if the dealer is lazy or trying to scam me.
Lazy, but the truth is that rebuilding the compressor is not cost effective. Add the cost to replaced the bearing: since they dont have experience rebuilding the compressor they would probably charge you around 3 hrs. to do it, plus 2 hrs to R &R the compressor, plus the cost of the bearing. Is better to get another compressor, but you don't have to get a new one from the factory, get an aftermarket or rebuild.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
1998 Altima

Thumbs up Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Yes, you can replaced just the the clutch, but you have to remove the compressor since the clutch is press in.
This looks like my 1998 Altima compressor. Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The compressor clutch bearing comes as part of the compressor clutch assy. It is very much replaceable, but not always practical compared to replacing the compressor assy. when you factor in labor. The compressor clutch from Nissan is P/N: 92660-0W000 and MSRP is $342.59. Labor time to replace the clutch is 3.0 hours plus an additional 1.4 hours to evacuate/recharge system. You can get a Four Season reman. compressor w/ clutch at Rockauto.com for $333.79. Labor to replace the compressor assy. is 0.9 hours plus the 1.4 hours to evacuate recharge. So, there's 2.1 hours of additional labor charge to replace just the clutch compared to replacing the whole compressor assy. w/ a new clutch. So, you can see it makes more sense to replace the entire compressor and clutch assy. with a reman. unit that to just replace the clutch (and still have an old compressor). FYI, a genuine Nissan compressor is almost $700.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 PM
1995 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Yes, you can replaced just the the clutch, but you have to remove the compressore since the clutch is press in.

Why would anyone remove the compressor to pull the clutch?

Why not attach puller to front of clutch and remove from compressor just like any other AC clutch?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
1995 Pathfinder

Autozone carries the compressor clutch bearing. Replacing the bearing is a tiny fraction of the cost of replacing the clutch/compressor/recharge of refrigerant.

I did find an illustration that is suppose to be from a repair manual showing pulling the clutch from the pulley. I tried a puller and was afraid that something was going to break as I tightened it so much. It is difficult to tell if I moved it any at all. Has anyone here removed one of these clutches before?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

since you're interested in DIY pulley bearing replacement, check this utube video.

AC compressor clutch bearing replacement - YouTube
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

oops! i forgot, if you don't have a press you just have to hammer it out.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
1995 Pathfinder

I have seen that video which is quite good. I do have a press.

The problem I am having is removing the clutch. I found a picture showing using a puller with 5-mm bolts that go intot he rivited plates on the front of the clutch. I cranked the big bolt in the puller until I was afraid something was going to break. It does afppear that the clutch now has a little more gap but it is not loose at all.

I have the radiator out as I am doing a timing belt job. The lady that owns the car is on a fixed income and cannot afford hundreds $$ for another compressor/clutch assembly.

Tags
a or c, bearing, compressor, noisy, pulley