Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Nissan Pathfinder missing/surging Forums > > 2008 Nissan Pathfinder missing/surging 2008 Nissan Pathfinder missing/surging
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 PM
fishingsetx

Default 2008 Nissan Pathfinder missing/surging

Ok, I am at the end of my chain here!!!! My wifes 08 patfinder 4.0l `70k is missing at low throttle input. Basically a normal drive goes like this:

Cranks up great and no problem at idle.

Place in reverse and start rolling back, and still no problem until a very small amount of throttle is given then it misses/surges a few times. give it more throttle and it backs out great.

Place in drive and everything is fine. Accelerate to ~45 mph and coast for a sec. give it just a slight bit of throttle and the missing/surging comes back. more throttle cures the problem. accelerate to 70 mph and have the same problems cured by more throttle.

basically anytime you coast a sec then put your foot on the gas (very little throttle input), it surges/misses. Give it a bit more gas and it stops missing.

Took it to my local transmission shop (they do great work) and had the trans checked thinking it was a shifting problem and they said it wasnt the trans.

tried running several tanks of premium through it and even tried some injector cleaner with no luck. The problem has been getting worse and worse over the last month or 3. First thing I tried to check was the fuel filter (act just like a dirty one) but quickly found out it didnt have one I have also cleaned the throttle body and checked for trans fluid in the coolant and vice versa. Im an electrician by trade and done lots of work on my older trucks up to and including rebuilds, but I just cant seem to put the two together on these newer vehicles!!!!!!

Anyone have the same problem? Any ideas on where to start?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsetx View Post
Ok, I am at the end of my chain here!!!! My wifes 08 patfinder 4.0l `70k is missing at low throttle input. Basically a normal drive goes like this:

Cranks up great and no problem at idle.

Place in reverse and start rolling back, and still no problem until a very small amount of throttle is given then it misses/surges a few times. give it more throttle and it backs out great.

Place in drive and everything is fine. Accelerate to ~45 mph and coast for a sec. give it just a slight bit of throttle and the missing/surging comes back. more throttle cures the problem. accelerate to 70 mph and have the same problems cured by more throttle.

basically anytime you coast a sec then put your foot on the gas (very little throttle input), it surges/misses. Give it a bit more gas and it stops missing.

Took it to my local transmission shop (they do great work) and had the trans checked thinking it was a shifting problem and they said it wasnt the trans.

tried running several tanks of premium through it and even tried some injector cleaner with no luck. The problem has been getting worse and worse over the last month or 3. First thing I tried to check was the fuel filter (act just like a dirty one) but quickly found out it didnt have one I have also cleaned the throttle body and checked for trans fluid in the coolant and vice versa. Im an electrician by trade and done lots of work on my older trucks up to and including rebuilds, but I just cant seem to put the two together on these newer vehicles!!!!!!

Anyone have the same problem? Any ideas on where to start?
Did you have the ecm relay recall performed?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Hahaha........we think alike.....WTF= Whiskey...Tango....Foxtrot. For me literally in that order. I'm a ballroom dancer, that's how I maintain my ying and the yang, if you will.

Actually theere is a fuel filter. On your car as in mine, it is an integral part of the Fuel Pump. On mine, its non-serviceable part. If it goes ( I hope not soon) you have to install a new fuel pump. Easy thing to do, just a PITA.

But as long as you don't get into a habit of running out of fuel, I think it will last a long time. Mine is still OE. The fuel lubricates the fuel pump so keep that in mind. Oooops!... I have to refill the W part.....
Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
fishingsetx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Did you have the ecm relay recall performed?
When was it released? Dont know if it has been done or not, bought the pathfinder used a couple years ago.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

if you did not have an air filter, you might have some tiny piece of something stuck or wedged in your maf sensor..... get some electrical conector cleaner and very gently remove the maf sensor. inspect inside the tiny wires for any tiny rock that might be wedged inthere.............. regardless, you want to simply spary into the little wires and let sit to dry out for 15 minutes.....

reconnect and see if that worked...

if not..... i think you might need to do the idle re-learn procedure since you cleaned the throtle intake....
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

if you have the v6 engine this might help you out.... after cleaning maf
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning

DESCRIPTION
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of the accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Check that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

DESCRIPTION
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time the harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Check that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Check that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning

DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific
range.

It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100°C (158 - 212°F)
PNP switch: ON
Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine
is started the headlamp will not be illuminated.
Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
Vehicle speed: Stopped
Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models with CONSULT-II, drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/
T” system indicates less than 0.9V.
For A/T models without CONSULT-II, and M/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

Without CONSULT-II
NOTE:
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-89, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform EC-89, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingsetx View Post
When was it released? Dont know if it has been done or not, bought the pathfinder used a couple years ago.
2008s are not affected............
NissanAssist.com

Tags
2008, missing or surging, nissan, pathfinder