Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
01 PF P0505 Help! Forums > > 01 PF P0505 Help! 01 PF P0505 Help!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Default 01 PF P0505 Help!

I cleaned the throttle plate in my 01 Pathfinder and got the P0505. All was fine before. I AM able to do the idle air volume learning and the idle relearn (also replaced IAC Valve and pulled ECM for any signs of burning -OK) and set the idle to a smooth 800(idle always smooth). HOWEVER, whenever I let it idle in P or N it "looses" the 800 idle and goes up to 950 and triggers a P0505. As long as I put it in Drive right after starting I never get the code. Just letting it idle in P somehow causes the computer to "loose" the idle and trigger a code. other than that, truck runs fine, idles smooth. No vacuum leaks. Can anyone herlp me? I've tried the relearn procedures several times, and they work, until I let thew car idle in P on the second trip after the relearn and it then goes back to P0505. Help!
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I never seen that problem before, the P0505 is common, but I never seen the idle go up when you move from P to D. Try the following:

Disconnect the car battery for at least 45 min. and then try to do the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure. Instruction here: 2001-2002 Nissan Pathfinder Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure | Nissanhelp.com

If that doesn't work, perform the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure with the air flow meter disconnected, then reset clear the engine code (that will be set when the air flow meter is disconnected), and do the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure again.

If the above doesn't work, try doing the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure in "D", then do it again in "P".

If after all that the idle still high, then I suggest going to the dealer and have them do it for you with the Nissan CONSULT.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. The thing is, is lets me to the idle air volume learning and the idle reset(turn key off and on several times per FSM). I then get a 750 idle in D and about a 800 idle in P. But, when I shut the car off and return it to P, it's the same thing, about a 950 idle and a P0505 code if left to idle a few times in P. What I have been doing is putting it in D as soon as the car turns over and not letting it idle in P. then I have about a 750 idle in D, and the SES never comes on. It's so weird, and it started right after I cleaned the throttle plates. Another odd thing I noticed that I think is related is that when letting off the throttle coasting the idle drops to normal than blips up about 400 RPM for a second. The idle is always perfectly smooth and doesn't really hunt. It's easy to just drive the car and throw it in D right after start up and forget about it, but I know this will be a problem come emission test time.... Another weird thing is the transmission seems to shift a little erratically related to the weird idle issue. Again, I did replace IAC valve(no change), check the ECM externally for burnt pins and harness (ok), clean the MAF sensor, reset the throttle position switch (not sensors), check for vacuum leaks visually and by spraying 2 cans of carb cleaner all over while engine was idling(ok), remove air box and related hoses and check for leaks(ok), check the under hood harness and connectors for loose or broken wires(ok), and check cruise and throttle linkage for binding(ok). - and still cant find the problem. Originally when I cleaned the throttle plates, I took out the air box and intake hose for access, I'm thinking at this point it has to be something related to that process, but can't figure out what. When I replaced the IAC Valve I took it all out again and checked all the tubing for leaks and it all seemed ok. The only thing I can think of now is somehow I crossed 2 vacuum hoses and will check it with a diagram soon - but I've looked it over again a dozen times and can't see how that could've happened. Also, I'm wondering if it could be the MAF since I know sometimes they can go bad and not trigger a code, also can't they cause erratic shifting? I really am not looking forward to the dealer, is my guess is they will try to sell me a bunch of parts that won't fix the problem. I just can figure how I can set the idle fine, but it won't stick after I restart it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Could it be a bad ECM that can control/ rember the idle?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM
2001 Pathfinder

This is the same problem I have been having. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon

Tags
p0505