Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
1987 Pathfinder surging idle Forums > > 1987 Pathfinder surging idle 1987 Pathfinder surging idle
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
armyguydan123

Default 1987 Pathfinder surging idle

I have a 87 pathfinder with the 3.0v6. My idle is surging constantly between 1400-1900RPM. It runs fine besides that. i can drive it down the road at 60mph without a problem(unless the speed/gear require a RPM lower than that). Any ideas? i was told it might be an idle re-learn but i have no idea how to do that. thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Any ideas? i was told it might be an idle re-learn but i have no idea how to do that. thanks!
Idle relearn is for later models around 2000 and up. Your 87 have an adjustment screw for the idle. If you can't adjust the idle from the adjustment screw, you may have to adjust the tps or ignition timing. Unfortunately I have no images to show you where the adjustment screw is.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
armyguydan123

First off, TY SOOOOO MUCH. i have posted this same question on 3 other webistes(pathfinder or nissan forums) with no responses in almost a week. I know where the TPS sensor is. On mine it has 2 plugs comming off of it. if i unplug one of them(with the longer wires, not directly plugging in) idle goes up to 2500+ RPM's, but it holds steady. I dont think i can get to the screws on the TPS without removing the throttle body. I got this vehicle for free from a lady that was going to junk it and i really want to keep it and get it running right. for ignition timing are you talking about adjusting the timing? Another point, when i first got it, it was surging from 1400-2800rpms, it dropped to what it is surging at now. ALSO(sorry) i have 2-3 vaccum lines capped off due to someone removing one of the emmission things(mounts on the driver side front under hood). That was removed and capped about 2 years ago and it has ran fine since then.

The engine was rebuilt about 25K miles ago and i have receipts for over $6k worth of repairs in hte past 4 years. Again, ty soooo much for the response. I will try to adjust the TPS tomorow and I WILL UPDATE. i dont leave people hanging, so again, thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
for ignition timing are you talking about adjusting the timing?
Yes.

We'll appreciate if you keep us update.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
armyguydan123

Update-played with TPS tonight, turned all the way down surgess like normal, move it up at all and straight to 3k rpm and then above. At one point it had a fire in the engine, took off tps and bottom part is burned and disolored. Any way to check the tps? Or should I just get a new one? Thanks

Tags
1987, idle, pathfinder, surging