Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Mystery downshift Forums > > Mystery downshift Mystery downshift
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Gary peritz

Default Mystery downshift

My 05 pathfinder (no hill assist) has started to downshift on it's own during descents while driving through Yellowstone. this began after the VDC/SLIP came on for no reason (another mystery) I've read the manual and there is no problem with the battery (discharge) as far as I can tell. The VDC/SLIP did not reset during driving, but turned off after turning off the engine and restarting. I've had this vehicle for a year and the "auto" downshift is a mystery. Is there a connection between the VDC/SLIP and the mystery downshift? I'm on a family vacation in Montana up from San Diego and I'd like to know if I have a serious problem or not before I begin my return home. Any info out there? Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary peritz View Post
My 05 pathfinder (no hill assist) has started to downshift on it's own during descents while driving through Yellowstone. this began after the VDC/SLIP came on for no reason (another mystery) I've read the manual and there is no problem with the battery (discharge) as far as I can tell. The VDC/SLIP did not reset during driving, but turned off after turning off the engine and restarting. I've had this vehicle for a year and the "auto" downshift is a mystery. Is there a connection between the VDC/SLIP and the mystery downshift? I'm on a family vacation in Montana up from San Diego and I'd like to know if I have a serious problem or not before I begin my return home. Any info out there? Thanks
any transmission related issue could be related to coolant contamination of the transmission oil, due to a failure of the internal transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator assembly.
this is a somewhat common problem.
there is an extended warranty (with certain limitations) addressing this issue.
a check of the appearance of your ATF is in order.
if it has a "milkshake" appearance, that is likely to be the cause of your problem.

Tags
downshift, mystery