Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
My Pathy Squeals like Ned! Forums > > My Pathy Squeals like Ned! My Pathy Squeals like Ned!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
2002 Pathfinder

Default My Pathy Squeals like Ned!

Help!

I have had my belts replaced (all) now I have a squeal......sometimes....can't relate it to temperature, moisture or time not used.

It does seem to be related to powersteering cause it may happen when turning the wheel after starting then it's gone. It's been to the dealer 3 times and they can't get it to squeal. Sometimes when it does it, it lasts for 10 long seconds or more.

Any suggestions? Can the pully on the powersteering be replaced or would it be the complete powersteering unit? Any idea of cost?

Sould I just wait until it gets worse so they can find it?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

When you turn the steering wheel extra load is applied to the engine, and if the belt is loose, the belt will slip and make noise. It doesn't necessary means that is something wrong with the power steering pump.

The way you describe, it sound like the belt is still loose. The pulley may be tight, but it is possible that the belt is the wrong size.

I suggest getting a second opinion from another mechanic or like you suggested wait until the noise is more consistent.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 AM
2002 Pathfinder

Well, after Nissan replaced the belts, the next day the squeal was really bad and would last for about a minute and was very
embarrassing. I took it back and the tech said that he would rather not make them real tight and would rather someone come back to have them tighened.

Since then it's been back and they could not find a problem....like I said, it doesn't do it every day...

Guess I'll give it more time....Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

sounds like loose belt/s to me too and especially since this seems to have started after you had all the belts replaced.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Bert2x

I was sure hoping someone had an answer or a fix for this squealing noise. Mine is a 2001 Pathfinder LE and regardless of the weather, it always happens after the car has sat for a while and lasts for about 10 seconds. Yes, it is embarassing. I too had my belts changed by my dealer service department and they cannot stop the noise or figure out why it occurs. Interestingly, they always ask me if I am ready to trade in for a new car.

Tags
ned, pathy, squeals