Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 Oil Pressure Gage maxed! Forums > > 05 Oil Pressure Gage maxed! 05 Oil Pressure Gage maxed!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM
cjj2d

Default 05 Oil Pressure Gage maxed!

I have a 05 Pathfinder LE

The oil pressure gauge is pegged at the highest possible point as soon as I turn the engine on. Its not a gradual climb, it jumps up there at start up and doesnt move.

I assume this may be a sensor, the gauge itslef, or.....????

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Default Replace the sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj2d View Post
I have a 05 Pathfinder LE

The oil pressure gauge is pegged at the highest possible point as soon as I turn the engine on. Its not a gradual climb, it jumps up there at start up and doesnt move.

I assume this may be a sensor, the gauge itslef, or.....????

any help is greatly appreciated.
Just did this on mine. The sender is bad. Be prepared for some oil to come out of the hole when you remove it! Reseal with Permatex Ultra Grey around the threads when you reinstall.

Google the sender and you will find it from $60-$80.

It's on the bottom right front of engine.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM
cjj2d

cool thanks!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
cjj2d

oil sender?

is that what its called?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj2d View Post
oil sender?

is that what its called?
It's called, "Sensor-Oil Pressure."

Here's a link:
Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Pathfinder

just noticed this happened to mine. Do you think this is a "fix immediately" type of a problem or more of a "get it done when I have time". I am very consistent with my oil changes.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tings00 View Post
just noticed this happened to mine. Do you think this is a "fix immediately" type of a problem or more of a "get it done when I have time". I am very consistent with my oil changes.
I just can't stand having things that are broken on anything I own.

Shop around, get the best price on one, and then change it next time you're under the car doing an oil change.

I think there's an "Idiot Light" on the dash in addition to the gauge so you'll still have a warning if the oil pressure drops to an unsafe level.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 PM
2005 Pathfinder

Default 05 Pathfinder oil pressure switch

Just a heads up I purchased the switch off the internet for less than 15 dollars. Not sure but they all look the same to me. The 80 dollar part looks like the 15 dollar part. Anyhow it took all of 20 min including jacking up the car. I am no technician anyone can replace this part if you dont mind getting a few ounces of oil in your face who knows it might be good for the skin. SO for 15 bucks I fixed something that has been broken for 2 years and it is kind of an important thing to know your oil pressure. These vehicles have U-joint issues (I have replace the front now I need two in the rear replaced) they have issues with fuel tank sending units that was expensive. They have issues with the transmission cooling lines inside the radiator leaking and getting antifreeze in your transmission fluid. I replaced the radiator with an aftermarket that cost about 100 bucks through eBay. I did that 5000 miles ago I have 105000 on the vehicle now and it is an 05 Pathfinder SE 4x4. I am pretty sure I have all the common defects fixed these vehicles have. I was a Nissan dealer until I retired from that business 3 years ago. It is a good vehicle once you get these things remedied.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I recommend replacing the oil pressure sensor with a genuine Nissan part when it fails. I have read several posts at a Pathfinder site where people have replaced the sensor with an aftermarket replacement part only to have it not work right out of the box or fail not long afterwards. The oil pressure sensor was used in the early years of the R51, then around 2007 or 2008, it was replaced with an oil pressure switch, rendering the oil pressure gauge into a "dummy gauge." It'll either read halfway when the oil pressure is good or will read nothing, if the oil pressure is too low or there is a bad switch/circuit. The sensor is much more expensive than the switch. This all said, even if you have the early type sensor with an actual functioning oil pressure gauge, you will rarely see much movement of the needle; the only time you might see the needle position anywhere other than about halfway on the gauge is when you start the engine cold, in which the needle may read a little higher than normal until the oil warms up.

Tags
gage, maxed, oil, pressure