Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
p0448 Where do you find the evap canister? Forums > > p0448 Where do you find the evap canister? p0448 Where do you find the evap canister?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM
chaddewitt

Default p0448 Where do you find the evap canister?

Where is the EVAP canister located on the 2006 Pathfinder? A code was thrown yesterday. I have tried to find a site to show me where to look, but nothing has come up online that helps. Also, how dangerous is it to drive with out replacing/fixing this right away?
Thank you for your answers.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddewitt View Post
Where is the EVAP canister located on the 2006 Pathfinder? A code was thrown yesterday. I have tried to find a site to show me where to look, but nothing has come up online that helps. Also, how dangerous is it to drive with out replacing/fixing this right away?
Thank you for your answers.
Welcome to Nissanhelp!
at the lower left corner of this page is access to service bulletins & service manuals and many other useful features.
the info you want is in the "engine control" section of the service manual.
there is also a service bulletin or two regarding the emission system, one of them specifically about the evap canister vent control valve, which is, i believe, related to your code.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

it does not hurt your vehicle to drive it with that code on... it might be covered under warranty.. the purge valve spring is probably stuck due to dust/dirt... there is a filter system for it...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterramexico05 View Post
it does not hurt your vehicle to drive it with that code on... it might be covered under warranty.. the purge valve spring is probably stuck due to dust/dirt... there is a filter system for it...
thx. my wifes 06 path just threw this today too. can you point in the right direction to start trying to resolve this issue? by chance know where the evap canister is located?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmastir View Post
thx. my wifes 06 path just threw this today too. can you point in the right direction to start trying to resolve this issue? by chance know where the evap canister is located?
2nd result after "googling": P0448 R51:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...NTB07-060a.pdf
Old 04-19-2011, 03:24 AM
2006 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryart View Post
2nd result after "googling": P0448 R51:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba...NTB07-060a.pdf
yep. just got referred there from another forum as well. i googled that code, but i guess i somehow overlooked that pdf. thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

i dont have that many tools and needed a long extension to reach the nut that holds the carbon canister in place. i use tire removal tool... the long one with a T on the end... i put my socket on the one end and with plyers on the T i loosened.

you will have to remove the rear tire /gas side.... and the inside wheel plastic thing... those plastic pins are 1 piece...... if you remove it all the way out you will break them.... its easy to just buy new ones before removing them.

when you remove the canister, you will notive the valve has a plastic piece that it stops at... you counter clock remove .... inside the valve there are 2 small flaps .... so the flaps have to allign to allow you to pop it off..turn the purge valve slowly untill you feel the loose spot... to re-install, i put some saliva and pushed it back on.

the valve should have dirt/dust inside and you might actually see the spring that is twisted inside... i used brake cleaner to clean it out... there is a way to test the valve with your battery... you have to find out wich metal prong is positive / negative.. once you touch the positive you can hear the valve close.... that means it was just dirty and stuck....

weight the carbon canister !!!! there is a specific weight that says its still ok.... on mine, the center hose fitting is the one i use compressed air to blow out the dust....(it blew out of purge valve opening)..... i also tappped it gently to loosen up the dirt that polluted the canister..

i also followed the thick hose to the frame rail and blew compressed air in there also.... i used a hammer to hit the metal frame to loosen anything inthere....
Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 AM
2006 Pathfinder

eesh. sounds likea b itch, but anything is worth trying than paying someone a crapload of money i don't have to spend

thx for the replies :)

Tags
2006 pathfinder, canister, evap, evap canister, find, p0448