Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Coolant flush or just drain Forums > > Coolant flush or just drain Coolant flush or just drain
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 AM

2005 Pathfinder

Default Coolant flush or just drain

Hey everyone, I just bypassed my tansmission cooler to avoid future tranny issues on my 2005 pathy and while Im down there I was wondering if I ought to go ahead and drain the coolant and change it. I have over 60k on it. How does everyone do their radiator, flush, drain,flush drain, or just drain and change, any comments are greatly appreciated. Another question is has anyone ever tried coolant other than genuine nissan?

P.S. no transmission/coolant leakage found, just being proactive/paranoid

Last edited by repetereed; 06-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by repetereed View Post
Hey everyone, I just bypassed my tansmission cooler to avoid future tranny issues on my 2005 pathy and while Im down there I was wondering if I ought to go ahead and drain the coolant and change it. I have over 60k on it. How does everyone do their radiator, flush, drain,flush drain, or just drain and change, any comments are greatly appreciated. Another question is has anyone ever tried coolant other than genuine nissan?

Others would say flush, but I'd just change it. BUT, I'd suggest a flush if it's been a while past recommended time. It's been said it's not recommended to use water from a hose or tap as it's considered hard water. Doesn't matter to me as I've used tap water.

As for coolant, you can use Prestone... Peak or equivalent. GM uses an orange coloured coolant, so I'd stay away from that if you have access to it.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:18 PM

2005 Pathfinder

Prestone... I was eyeing that stuff. What do you think just get the Prestone stuff that says its compatible with any color?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
deeznuts

Quote:

Do you at least have an auxiliary cooler hooked up?
And if you don't want to run factory, then use whatever green coolant that works within your budget. My vote is still with Nissan. It's not like you'll be changing it all the time.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

The use of distilled water is recommended for the reason of different water quality found in different parts of the country.To lessen the confusion, just by the 50/50 pre-mixed prestone and all the bases are then covered.The Nissan coolant was good for 5 years or 50k.It's due.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 AM

2005 Pathfinder

Yep, I have the factory secondary cooler up front of the radiator still connected up. Im thinking its only a temporary fix, until I can get a new radiator. I did blow some fluid out of the tranny cooler/radiator cooler and what is sitting in my clear plastic bottle is some grey bubbles sitting at the bottom of the bottle with the tranny fluid up top, so.... Maybe my radiator is already screwed.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Yep, I have the factory secondary cooler up front of the radiator still connected up. Im thinking its only a temporary fix, until I can get a new radiator. I did blow some fluid out of the tranny cooler/radiator cooler and what is sitting in my clear plastic bottle is some grey bubbles sitting at the bottom of the bottle with the tranny fluid up top, so.... Maybe my radiator is already screwed.
Sounds like it, unfortunately. IF that's the case, I suggest flush and new radiator.

Probably best to take it to a dealer now and get them to inspect the tranny, replace radiator and coolant/transmission fluid flush.

If not within the budget, call the local shops... but yeah, that sucks.

Tags
2005 pathfinder, change, coolant