Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Burning Smell when Climbing? Forums > > Burning Smell when Climbing? Burning Smell when Climbing?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 09:26 AM
2000 Pathfinder

Default Burning Smell when Climbing?

Hi everyone. I have a 2000 Pathfinder Manual Trans. It was emitting a very strong burning smell during and after I would have to drive up an incline, (which is often where I live). As the smell got to be stronger as time went, I took it to my guy and he did the clutch test and said I should have it changed as that was the cause...the clutch was not gripping properly and thus the needed traction it provides was slipping causing the burning smell.

So I changed it. This is the 2nd clutch I had installed (long story short, I bought the car used w/95K mi and thus not knowing when the clutch had been originally changed, if ever... I had it changed out when bought in 2013 w/another mechanic. I am pretty sure he just changed out the part that is really thin cause my new mechanic said the larger piece was original and the thin part was not.)

Sooo......

I changed everything to new!

However, I still have that burning smell every time I climb, albeit it is not as strong but at times can be, but not on a regular basis. So I can still smell this SMELL when I climb and especially when the car is parked after a climb.

So my Q is:

If the problem was the old clutch, then what else could be causing this as I already have a new clutch?

I am just a little redhead living in the mountains of Costa Rica and have learned so much about cars as I go. So any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's hard to say without smelling the odor for oneself. The VG engines were notorious for oil leaks at the oil pan rear lip seal as well as the rear main seal. When the pan seal leaked, it would usually do so when the vehicle is moving---especially uphill---or when the vehicle was parked on a hill facing up, which is when the oil in the pan is pushed toward the rear. Look for signs of engine oil leak at the rear of the oil pan or the front of the transmission.

Tags
burning, climbing, smell