Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Pathfinder overheating Forums > > Nissan Pathfinder overheating Nissan Pathfinder overheating
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
WyndeP

Exclamation Nissan Pathfinder overheating

I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder with about 95,000 miles on it. Back in about September 09 the thing starts overheating. We have changed BOTH the thermostats and thought we would start there. Nope..we got a code the "swirl control valve" was bad....that has been changed and the thing was running great! Then in February it started again. The only time that the check engine light comes on is after it overheats to tell you "hey the car got hot". After that one overheating episode in February it didn't do it again. Then a few weeks ago while running errands it started it again. Turn the heater on and it stops....we changed the water pump and it was great for 2 days then WHAM...here we go again. The radiator has been flushed twice. Pulled both of the thermostats out and ran it like that a while and it still over heats. There is no visible evidence that the head is cracked. The gauge goes all the way to the top....when you stop and idle and rev the engine the gauge drops. When you turn the car off and then get in it later the gauge is fine and take a while to raise again. But when it says that it is overheated...you get out and lift the hood there is no gurgling over ...there is nothing in the overflow and there is no "hot" smell

HELP....we are out of ideas and have a big trip planned soon.

Thanks for help in advance,
~Wynde
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndeP View Post
But when it says that it is overheated...you get out and lift the hood there is no gurgling over ...there is nothing in the overflow and there is no "hot" smell
Was this the case back in Sept 09 too, or just now?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
WyndeP

Just now. Back then it was really showing overheating signs!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

I'm thinking temp guage sending unit, or connections, if there are no other symptoms of overheating.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:31 PM
WyndeP

can you run it like that or does that HAVE to be replaced? is it just telling me that it is hot when it isn't?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
can you run it like that or does that HAVE to be replaced? is it just telling me that it is hot when it isn't?
maybe, but i don't know that i'd bet a vacation on it!
the service manual probably has test procedures for the sending unit & temperature guage.
i'd try testing them.
in the event that the problem is not consistent, you could try a new part, but i'm hesitant to recommend replacement of something that i'm not sure has failed.
on the other hand, if a new sending unit isn't very expensive, and time is short..........
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
WyndeP

ok...I just looked and the part is about 22 bucks....but the question is how hard is that to change.....does anything other than the plenum have to be removed to get to that part. Our book seems to be vague and does not have troubleshooting things...grrr
Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Quote:
ok...I just looked and the part is about 22 bucks....but the question is how hard is that to change.....does anything other than the plenum have to be removed to get to that part. Our book seems to be vague and does not have troubleshooting things...grrr
No idea!
The FSM (Factory Service Manual) can be accessed from the lower left hand corner of this page.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

with the engine cold in the morning.... turn the fan with your hand... what does it feel like? does it spin loose?

also... could be air bubles in the cooling system..... open the radiator and start the engine....... press the gas quick and let off... see if you see bubbles burp out... eventually the thermostat will open up... turn heater on high to get those bubbles you might have in that area... i usually press the gas pedal quick to burp it out.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:31 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

It does sound like you have air trapped in the coolant system. Try the proceedures as stated by xterramexico05.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 AM
WyndeP

Thank you all so much. We are going to try that now. A few days ago it actually did overheat but not in a normal way. It went to the top line but never the critical line even with the A/C on. Never bubbled over or anything. I went in the store came out and there was fluid under the car. It finally really smelled hot. So we are going to try the air thing. Will that procedure get the air out or just let us know that it is there? If it just is a telling procedure what do you do to really get the air out. The flushes at like Jiffy lube places are about 85 and they say that it "should" get the bubbles out
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

you should do it yourself...... since you will make sure all the bubbles come out. remember... eventually coolant will begin to flow out of the radiator cap... so have a helper ready to shut engine off. i like using the radiator cap area because i can press the gas quick and release and see the air come out.

if you have a reservour.... you can do it that way also.... leave cap closed in radiator ... then simply open reservour cap.... start engine and keep watching in the reservour for air blubbles ... dont need to press the gas... be ready for coolant to begin to flow out.. thats when you turn off engine.

it might take you a couple of days.

important: make sure you have your original radiator cap/reservour cap.. some titan owners have blown their radiator by purchasing those fancy chorme caps that vary in lb. and placed them on reservour and radiator... thus creathing a huge problem...
Old 04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
WyndeP

Ok so we should do this more than one time? I so pray this works we have done everything else that we can think of short of blowing the thing up!! You guy have been the best. Will let you know what happens!!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 AM
1999 Pathfinder

here is a thought- I had the same issue with my 99 pathfinder; tried everything under the sun- finally called the dealer- talked to service- they advised that sometimes they see that the radiator gets very dirty with dust and debris- they advised to pull the radiator out and wash it from the outsides-- well I didnt want to take it out so I rigged up a contraption to spray it out on both sides with the hose- it looked like mud dumping from under the vehicle--- problem fixed-- no more overheating :)
Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

MYy 2001 Pathfinder was overheating due to air in the cooling system. Had it flushed to clear out air pockets. Operations normal. Returned to daily driving.

Tags
nissan, overheating, pathfinder