Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Pathfinder overheating Forums > > Nissan Pathfinder overheating Nissan Pathfinder overheating
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Default Follow up to 2001 Infiniti QX4 - no heater until 2500 RPMs

Here's a follow up to what I found after playing around with all sorts of things on my 2001 Infiniti QX4 due to a lack of heat until the engine reached at least 2,500 RPM's. I think I just had too little radiator fluid and after I refilled it I didn't clear the air bubbles out of the system so the problem continued. I have a photo of the system I set up to clear the air bubbles and will try to post it later. Additionally, I changed the thermostat - it only cost about $20 and I figured what the heck since I had already purchased the part. In the end I absolutely know that the thermostat did not need to be changed. I also went out to Wal-Mart and picked up some CLR to flush the heater core inside the cabin of the car. What a pain in the rear to unhook the hose clamps to flush that system. I did go to Home Depot and pick up some clear 3/4" plastic tubing to make it easier to flush the system. I don't know how you would do it otherwise, but this was also not necessary. To be clear, I think the only thing I really needed to do was add more radiator fluid and clear the air bubbles out of the system, but I did all this other stuff so you may as well know about it. I will say this, my heater blows FIRE now. The thing gets so hot, so I am inclined to say the CLR did a little something, but overall I don't think it was necessary b/c even when I flushed it, there wasn't really much of any dirty fluid coming out of it. Oh, I also picked up (I think) some 3/8" clear plastic tubing for the bleeder tube sitting off the back top part of the engine. The picture will help. This tube was essential, because I had to start my car and rev the engine to get the bubbles out. If I didn't have the 3/8" tubing I would have been blowing radiator fluid everywere. Anyhow, that's about it. If you decide to flush your heater core, I needed these pliers: Crescent Double-X Bent Long Nose Pliers to release the clips holding the hoses on. What a pain. I also picked up some Silicon spray lubricant rather than using WD-40.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Default '01 pathfinder overheating

I have a'01 pathfinder. Recently my heater wasn't working so we took the thermostat out to replace it. Well my town is small and no one had one available. So we have had to run it with no thermostat. I have taken it to a mechanic and when the new thermostat was put in it started overheating. We have replaced the radiator, and water pump. It still continues to overheat. Are there any suggestions to what it could be? Can my pathfinder overheat with no thermostat?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM
2001 Pathfinder
2001 PATHFINDER LE

This is fredJ with 2001 pathfinder LE 2x4 3.5L Final solution removed hoses to heater core and flushed. This cleared the restriction in the core. Had local mechanic shop flush my radiator and debris settled in heater core. I caused my own problem by allowing them to "FLUSH" my Radiator. My real mechanic used water hose to force debris from core by removing heater hoses and afixing water hose to core inlet tube then watch debris flow from outlet tube
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM
2003 Pathfinder

Default radiator calcium deposits

There may be calcium deposits inside the radiator flutes. To my knowlege, there is not a flush that will dissolve this without harming other components of the coolant system. Even though a coolant flush can remove some debris, calcium deposits thermochemicaly bond to the aluminum of the radiator causing insufficient flow and poor heat exchange from the coolant to air surrounding the radiator. You can use an infrared thermometer to measure hot spots within the radiator, a thermocoupler to measure temp drops from intake and outake hoses and see any constrictions that way. Another good way to check for calcium deposits is to run cold water over the radiator, watch the temp gauge, it shouldnt react until the rpm is raised while the cold water is flowing over the radiator. If the temp drops signifigantly lower then this is an indication of poor water flow and heat exchange. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:08 AM
2005 Pathfinder

I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder and its started burning up, two days ago it was oil burning, I changed the oil as it showed it was low, changed the filter cause it seemed it was punctured and probably the cause. This seemed to be a result of 4wd and trying to get out of snow. Any ways the gauges all seem to be fine except oil pressure is up and down. Up when on the gas, down when hitting the breaks. The only trouble is I had it in a shop and nothing was found. Today it was hard shifting and sputtering and again started smoking only this time it was coolant. Transmission fluid is pink still, and oil level is fine. I put more coolant in and it just started again... I am really confused, can anyone help me???

Tags
nissan, overheating, pathfinder