Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 pathfinder tensioner pulley help! Please Forums > > 2005 pathfinder tensioner pulley help! Please 2005 pathfinder tensioner pulley help! Please
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM

2005 Pathfinder

Default 2005 pathfinder tensioner pulley help! Please

Hey everyone, Im looking for some advice here. At less then 10,000 my pathfinder started making a squeeling noise.
I took it to the dealer, they said its a common problem with the tensioner pulley.
They replaced the tension pulley, it still squeeled ended up being the alternator.
At 20,000 the squeel came back, it ended up being the tensioner pulley.
70,000 miles squeels back, I replaced the bearing inside the tensioner pulley, squeel came back 4 days later. The after looking at the pulley I noticed it was warped. So I replaced the whole tensioner assembly and pulley and belt. The squeel was gone for about 3 months now its back.

I talked to the local nissan dealer where I moved to, They say they've never heard of the problem I will have to bring it down for them to look at.

Im not going to pay 400 bucks to have them replace a 40 dollar part.
Is there anyone else that has the same tensioner issues?
Is there anyone that might have a fix for me? Thanks alot for any replies.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Take a look at Service Bulletin NTB06-072b
I believe it to be the repair procedure for what you describe
Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 AM

2005 Pathfinder

Hey thank you very much Dryart. I bet this is whats up. Funny how the Nissan dealer here never heard of it before, lol. I guess everyones got to make money somehow. Why do you think they make you replace the belt? Safety or.... Only reason I ask is because I just replaced it 3 months ago and I am a cheap ass. Thanks again
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder
2005 R51 SE-OR & SE

Glad to help!
Anything that makes a belt squeal has probably compromised the belt in some way, so replacement would be a good idea.
I would recommend following the bulletin procedures "step-by-step" in order to avoid any future "tail chasing."
Are you sure that your pulley alignment is OK?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 PM

2005 Pathfinder

No, I haven't checked the alignment yet, but I bet thats what it is. Im planning on taking a look tonight or tommorow afternoon. The old belt didn't look to bad, but I went ahead and changed it out last time around too. The belt isn't slipping itself. The bearings inside the pulley are making the noise only at idle, rpm makes it go away. Sometime the only way I can hear it is to put my mechanics stethoscope on it. I checked all the other pulleys by spinning them last time around, but I didn't notice that the pump was adjustable so I didn't check the alignment. I think I'll go ahead order the assembly and belt, because they'll need replaced anyway. I'll keep you posted.

Tags
2005, pathfinder, pulley, tensioner