Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Pathfinder Evap Question Forums > > 2005 Pathfinder Evap Question 2005 Pathfinder Evap Question
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
T-Dog

Default 2005 Pathfinder Evap Question - Still need Help!!!

Have a 2005 Pathfinder SE Offroad that has a clogged EVAP canister due to a terrible design by Nissan. The dealer wants $600 to replace the canister and run the vent tube from the rear to the engine compartment and put a PCV value at the end to keep dust from entering the canister. Apparently the hose connected to the vent control valve take in a lot of dust and fills the canister full of crap. SES light comes on with a P1446 fault. I already replaced the vent control valve and SES light came right back on. Testing the old vent control valve I knew that wasn't the problem. Talking to the dealer there is a Nissan Service Bulletin to add a filter kit but he was honest and said they don't work.

I've already had the EVAP apart a couple times and my question is can someone tell me how to remove the connector on the vent tube coming from the gas tank I believe. It it located on the top side of the canister. Does it require a special tool??

Like many post on here our 2005 with 60K miles has had the fuel sending issue, tire sensors failures, replaced a the RH rear ABS sensor which caused the ABS,SLIP & 4X4 lights to come on and shut the four wheel drive and traction control off. Needless to say this is our first Nissan and may be our last with the amount of problems we have had.

Thanks in advance for your help.

T-Dog

Last edited by T-Dog; 02-05-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
2015 Rogue

I would check the wiring first. I have done at least 50 of these and never once had to replace a canister. If the valve is functioning when you check it you probably have a broken wire. I have seen a few with breaks a few inches from the connector to the valve.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 AM
T-Dog

Thanks for the response mpe. I will check that for sure. We live on a gravel road and my local Nissan dealer is tellling me the canister is most likely plugged with dust. I see the vent tube that goes into the vent control valve (which I just replaced) runs into the frame. Have you ever installed the filter kit and do you think it works? I have a hard time believing this canister is plugged and it didn't seem to be very heavy when I changed out the vent control valve. My other thought was can it be possible for the vent tube to be clogged? I will check that as well.

Back to my original post can you explain to me how to get the vent tube going to the gas tank unconnected from the canister? I can't quite figure out how the conector works.

Thanks again
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
2006 Pathfinder

I have a 2006 pathfinder and had the same problem. MIL 448 I replaced the solenoid, but still had a problem. I removed the evap canister, and banged it on the floor and blew out the fine dust backward with the air compressor. There was a LOT OF DUST. I kept air flowing through it until no more dust coming out.
End of problem. Installed a clip, and put the pick up hose into a hole in the frame.

Gerry
Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 AM
T-Dog

Gerry - How did you disconnect the vent line on the canister that goes to the fuel tank?? I still don't understand how to remove that to get the canister out.

Tags
2005, evap, pathfinder, question