Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Spare tire removal Forums > > Spare tire removal Spare tire removal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Jeannot63

Cool Spare tire removal

Hello, I am the new owner of a 2001 pathfinder. The only problem that I have found so far is the inability to lower the spare tire. I have soaked the mechanism the best I could from underneath, but no luck so far. I am afraid to twist/bent the long rod and loose it...
Is there a way to release the spare wheel without using the winch, so that I can get access to it and recondition it? For all I can see, it looks like it was never used before...
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
kll

i do not think you can lower it without that rod and mechanism. is tire stucked there? did you try to hit with a big hammer to wheel center?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Jeannot63

Like I said earlier I soaked the mechanism with WD40. Nothing is moving and the spare wheel is thigh against the frame. Nothing is moving. I didn't try to hit it. May try that next...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannot63 View Post
Like I said earlier I soaked the mechanism with WD40. Nothing is moving and the spare wheel is thigh against the frame. Nothing is moving. I didn't try to hit it. May try that next...
Isn't there a nut that can be taken off that holds the spare tire in place?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 PM
kll

nut should be holding it from inside.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by kll View Post
nut should be holding it from inside.
I thought there would be a nut and bolt that is tightened on a plate that holds the spare tire up.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 PM
BazPath

Try and hit is with a rubber hammer to dislodge it and read the instructions again, I see no reason why it should not come down, unless it was in an accident that is puching the tire against the enclosure under the trunk. . . .Good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Jeannot63

Unfortunately there is a good reason: Salt... use to keep the road ice free in Nova Scotia where I live. The unit is rusted and seized solid. I tried to spray WD40 from under the vehicle but with the wheel in the way I cannot do a good enough job. Will have to go visit a mechanic and probably cut the wheel free. Then we may free up the unit or replace it...
Thanks for the comments.

Tags
pathfinder, spare, tire