Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
95 Pathy no reverse Forums > > 95 Pathy no reverse 95 Pathy no reverse
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
adamawayfrommpa2000

Default 95 Pathy no reverse

Hello all, my 95 pathfinder has an automatic trans and all gears work and shift fine while in drive. However, when I attempt to shift the reverse the trans act as if its in neutral. No slipping, no chatter, you can't even feel the bump of it going into gear. Any help on this problem would be great. Thanks in advance,
Adam
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Ken

Sounds very much like a solenoid in the transmission to me
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
adamawayfrommpa2000

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Ken

If it is the solanoid the transmission place should be able to fix it in half a day . Job would be drain oil sump off change solenoid , sump on fill with oil test drive , see you later . We Hope Cheers Ken . ( PS did you try moving the gear leaver real slow when moving from drive through to park just incase it is out of adjustment and the real reverse is half way between the marked gears )

Last edited by Ken; 09-09-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
torque wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
If it is the solanoid the transmission place should be able to fix it in half a day . Job would be drain oil sump off change solenoid , sump on fill with oil test drive , see you later . We Hope Cheers Ken . ( PS did you try moving the gear leaver real slow when moving from drive through to park just incase it is out of adjustment and the real reverse is half way between the marked gears )
Hey man i have the same exact problem and im pretty sure it is a solenoid aswell. Im having trouble finding in my book where the solenoid exactly is in the tranny. Next tuesday im going to have it on a rack so i will be able to drop my pipe and remove the tranny pan. Can you please give me some info on where the solenoid is so it wont take me forever trying to find it once i get the pan off. thanks in advance
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Ken

If it is the same as the ones hare in Australia when you take the pan off they are lined up in a row across the back of the transmission . Someone must have a manual out there that shows which one you would have to change come on guys get your books out and see if you can help these guys
Old 09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

i'll look and try to post up in the next couple of days.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 AM
mjmax

Hey, I had the exact same problem in my 95 Pathfinder earlier this year.... nothing would happen when it shifted into reverse.

I was told that the transmission needed to be replaced.... cost of the replacement > book value of the car, so the Pathfinder went bye bye....

Anyway, since a few of you have had the same problem, I would just be curious to find out how it was resolved, and the cost. The car is gone, since I've been taking my car to this mechanic for some time, I would just like to know if he is fully diagnosing the problems (or whether I would have had other options)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by momud View Post
i'll look and try to post up in the next couple of days.
the AT part of the manual is over 200 pages long.. i didn't come across it but i bet it's in there.. see if that manual is available for DL here and then have fun with it.

sorry i couldn't be of more help.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
1995 Pathfinder

Thumbs down at solenoid and no reverse problems

my pathfinder is in the shop at i type this.

it is their professional opinion that the at solenoid HAS NOT got a goddamned thing to do with your truck not going into reverse.

that the tranny would have to be rebuilt, and was quoted at $2600.

just thought i drop you a line to the effect, that this is absolutely not an easy fix.

however, happy to report that i drive the fucker daily in my commute to work, with no ******* reverse, and park only if i can drive through it.

bust your fuckin bubble that your gonna get your fuckin reverse workin with an $85 part.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
1995 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Sounds very much like a solenoid in the transmission to me
hey, phuk you.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Usually when I've run across a "no reverse" problem in an older automatic transmission, including but not limited to Nissans, it has been due to the retaining spring popping out of the groove of the reverse clutch drum. I've seen this on several RWD Nissan automatic trannies and some FWD Altima transmissions, as well as several Chrysler FWD trannies. The fix usually entails replacing the reverse clutch drum and snap ring (or the complete drum assy), but this involves removing and teardown of the trans. When dealing with a ten year old transmission or one that has a lot of miles, most would agree that it is more practical at that time to do a complete overhaul or replacement of the transmission.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
2013 Pathfinder

Default Input

I'm currently repairing a 2001 3.5 Nissan pathfinder 2WD /w no Reverse for a customer.. I test drove the vehicle before i removed the transmission, all gears work fine & shift smoothly except reverse' i got nothing while in reverse not even a noise or attempt.. while in 2nd gear, I dropped to 1st gear, to see if the trans would clutch break, but i didn't get much..

I removed and disassembled the transmissioin all the way down to basic parts; I found no damage , and hardly even any normal wear.. no missing , worn, broken, or unfastened rings.. the condition of all the mechanical parts was like new.. so now i know it's not a mechanical problem.. it's more then likely a solenoid, trans oil pump or a clog..

it's either a presser or electrical problem..
I will be inspecting the transmission pump tomorrow, I already tested the resistance on the solenoids, but I'm unsure if I'm getting true readings, I power tested 2 solenoids one open/close type worked fine on 12+ volts, but the other nothing.. the other 3 solenoids are a differnt type (time pulse modulated) (TPM) i beleve they can only be ohm tested once the transmission is away from the vehicle..

The torque converter cluch solenoid is the only acessable solinoid without having to remove the entire valve body, it's located next to the band servo once you remove the trans oil pan.. the others 4 are locted on the other side (inner side) of the valve body near the tail housing, and they are as follows: the other 4 solenoids are grouped together in a row ,and 3 of them are mounted as a solenoid pack.. the one that is not part of the pack is called the "line presser valve solenoid" it's the only one with 2 wires (+-): the one next to that is "shift solenoid B" and then next to that is "shift solenoid A" and the last one on the end is "overrun clutch valve solenoid"..

Hopefully soon I will find the cause of this problem, and this problem is very common with the 98-2004 pathfinders.. it's pretty clear to me that the transmission don't need to be rebuilt, but what ever the cause is it's small , and well hidden..!! I'll update again when i near the completion of this project..!!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM
2013 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaunsaint001 View Post
I'm currently repairing a 2001 3.5 Nissan pathfinder 2WD /w no Reverse for a customer.. I test drove the vehicle before i removed the transmission, all gears work fine & shift smoothly except reverse' i got nothing while in reverse not even a noise or attempt.. while in 2nd gear, I dropped to 1st gear, to see if the trans would clutch break, but i didn't get much..

I removed and disassembled the transmissioin all the way down to basic parts; I found no damage , and hardly even any normal wear.. no missing , worn, broken, or unfastened rings.. the condition of all the mechanical parts was like new.. so now i know it's not a mechanical problem.. it's more then likely a solenoid, trans oil pump or a clog..

it's either a presser or electrical problem..
I will be inspecting the transmission pump tomorrow, I already tested the resistance on the solenoids, but I'm unsure if I'm getting true readings, I power tested 2 solenoids one open/close type worked fine on 12+ volts, but the other nothing.. the other 3 solenoids are a differnt type (time pulse modulated) (TPM) i beleve they can only be ohm tested once the transmission is away from the vehicle..

The torque converter cluch solenoid is the only acessable solinoid without having to remove the entire valve body, it's located next to the band servo once you remove the trans oil pan.. the others 4 are locted on the other side (inner side) of the valve body near the tail housing, and they are as follows: the other 4 solenoids are grouped together in a row ,and 3 of them are mounted as a solenoid pack.. the one that is not part of the pack is called the "line presser valve solenoid" it's the only one with 2 wires (+-): the one next to that is "shift solenoid B" and then next to that is "shift solenoid A" and the last one on the end is "overrun clutch valve solenoid"..

Hopefully soon I will find the cause of this problem, and this problem is very common with the 98-2004 pathfinders.. it's pretty clear to me that the transmission don't need to be rebuilt, but what ever the cause is it's small , and well hidden..!! I'll update again when i near the completion of this project..!!

Hey there people's lol.. I have finally finished the transmission project.. Proud to say I have repaired the "no reverse situation.. I ran in to another person needing transmission repairs with a 96 pathfinder with "no reverse while at the Nissan dealer.. I think i'll take a break from auto repair after this one, i'm really a engineer' not a mechanic..!! lol..
well anyway like i said before i found very little damage, and normal wear.. I inspected the transmission pump to find 2 seal rings flattened like pancakes on the trans pump rear hub, that contacts the direct drum, note the arrows on the photo..!!

those 2 rings are plastic "not" rubber o-rings & they were ordered from my local Nissan dealer & shipped from japan, $37.00 each..!! for plastic rings..!! No kidding..!! I also replaced the torque converter clutch solenoid: this solenoid is accessible by just removing the transmission oil pan, and it can be replaced without removing the transmission from the engine.. : Note the circled component on the photo..

I don't think the solenoid was bad ,but the customer wanted it replaced..!! I changed the filter & trans oil, and almost everything i done , except replacing the 2 seal rings can be done by anyone & without removing the transmission.. I think the oil seal rings was the problem, because the oil ports located between those 2 rings was just releasing oil in to the transmission case instead of using it to activate the clutch piston, small parts "big problems..

those rings are made to spin with the drum so it makes sense that overheating & friction together can cause this common problem with these vehicles.. If it's the solenoid that's something to replace before letting someone replace or rebuild your transmission.. even a transmission oil change or filter change can prove helping.. any questions just ask.. hope something i said or done helped someone out there..!! thanks..!!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM
1998 Pathfinder

Good job. I have a 1998 pathy tranny slipping in forward gears and no reverse. Figure this is the same situation?

Tags
pathy, reverse