Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 pathfinder code 1490/1491 Forums > > 2003 pathfinder code 1490/1491 2003 pathfinder code 1490/1491
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM
whh

Default 2003 pathfinder code 1490/1491

I'm new to the forum, looking for some help.
Engine light problem, nissan service serviced and replaced evap purge valve. Next day light was on again. This time, code 1490/1491, vacuum cut valve and bypass cut valve solenoid. My wallet was empty, so I passed on paying nissan another $500 to fix.
Now, I need to get the car inspected by DMV, so it needs to be fixed. I investigated the repair, saw that it was not difficult, purchased the parts from the dealer and replaced. Cleaned out broken plastic pieces from cut valve and so forth. Everything went together well.
The bad news is the light is still on. That brings my question, does the cpu need to be reset? Will it auto-reset if given time? I disconnected the battery for a short time, which did nothing.
Any advise what to do next?

Bill

Last edited by whh; 08-28-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Try disconnecting the car battery for about 12 hours to reset the code.

Question, why you didn't take the car back to the shop that "fixed" the problem that cause the engine light to come ON? IF you took you car to the repair shop, and the "fixed" the cause that triggered engine light, and the light comes back again next day, then it is obvious that they didn't fix it write. Just curious.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM
whh

Hi N/T,
I did, I got the song and dance that they could not know that other parts were also bad at the time because no other new codes came up and the computer was clear. They reexmined the car, hooking to their computer and presented the new estimate, that they would gladly do the additional repairs for $619.95.

I declined the offer and was told they would "give me a deal" when I was ready to get the work done. I'll name names if you want to know.

From there, I had my diagnose, so the rest was simple, but how they could want $620.00 to replace those parts (which had an over the counter price of $200.00) is unconscionable.
I'll go out and disconnect the battery for the night and see if that works.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 06:25 AM
whh

Last night I disconnected the battery as N/T recommended, and, low and behold, the light is now off!!
Now, if it stays off life will be good.

Thanks for the advice, problem solved.

Bill
Old 09-01-2009, 02:23 PM
whh

Default engine light on again

[QUOTE=whh;44138]I'm new to the forum, looking for some help.
Engine light problem, nissan service serviced and replaced evap purge valve. Next day light was on again. This time, code 1490/1491, vacuum cut valve and bypass cut valve solenoid. My wallet was empty, so I passed on paying nissan another $500 to fix.
Now, I need to get the car inspected by DMV, so it needs to be fixed. I investigated the repair, saw that it was not difficult, purchased the parts from the dealer and replaced. Cleaned out broken plastic pieces from cut valve and so forth. Everything went together well.
The bad news is the light is still on. That brings my question, does the cpu need to be reset? Will it auto-reset if given time? I disconnected the battery for a short time, which did nothing.
Any advise what to do next?

Now, after three days of no engine light on bliss, it is back on. Went to my local Auto-Zone to find out what code comes up.
The new code is 1456. What do I do now? I already looked at the gas cap, which when opened released pressure, which looks ok.

Please advise, it's got to go through emissions by the end of the month.
Bill
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 AM
2002 Maxima
2002 Pathfinder

I have been having almost the same problem with my 2002 Maxima. Dealer replaced Vent Control Valve (on EVAP tank) as well as EVAP canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid under hood due to code 1456. After 2 dealer visits ($700+) code P1491 came up and has been coming back for the last 6 months. Dealer gave me BS, so I then replaced vaccum cut valve, vacuum cut valve bypass valve, and just about EVERY other hose in the EVAP circuit myself. I figure if the dealer is going to just GUESS, that I can do the repairs myself. Still have code 1491. Now I have an EVAP tank on order. If that doesn't fix it I am really stuck, and will likely call Nissan Corporate. I have dropped about $1200 on these EVAP problems so far. Oh, I also replaced the gas cap. No luck.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
whh

This is pretty crazy, so far I've dropped $600.00 with no lasting results, when do you say "uncle". I'm afraid to just keep replacing parts when they all cost $100 plus and aren't returnable. Nissan should have an extended warranty on the EC systems, talk about a money pit, it's worse than a boat!

Tags
2003, code, pathfinder