Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Noise at idle(timing chain?) Forums > > Noise at idle(timing chain?) Noise at idle(timing chain?)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM
2006 Pathfinder

Default Noise at idle(timing chain?)

Hi there! I have had my 06 2.5TD pathy for 8 months now and it has made this harsh noise since I got the car. I thought its just noisy and it's what it's like because it drives great and everything else is fine. The noise sounds like a chain spinning without oil or with sand in it. Im not sure if I'm describing it right. It is fine when cold usually but is particularly noisy when the engine is warm. Also it is only at low revs that it's noticeable, past idle at higher rpms I cannot hear the noise? I have got a few different suggestions but it doesn't seem to sound like the common secondary timing chain and tensioner issue which makes a whining noise that increases with rpm? I am young and a nube, this car means alot to me and I would really appreciate any advice!

Cheers
Old 06-26-2012, 01:08 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

The best input I can give you is;
1. For about $12. buy a Stethoscope. With engine running, just point the tip on where you think the noise is coming from. Example: if you think its the timing chain, then touch the chain cover, valve cover if you think its the valve lifters. With engine running be careful not getting it caught with drive belt.
2. Check motor oil level, power steering fluid, and transmission fluid level.

Tags
chain, idletiming, noise, noise at idle, timingchain