Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Starting Problem Forums > > Starting Problem Starting Problem
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 AM
joedw

Default Starting Problem

I recently misplaced my original key and replaced it with a key from the Nissan dealer. After incurring this cost, I found my original key. The problem is that with the original key the car cranks, but will not start. It does start with the new key. Is this a common problem? Can the dealer correct this? I now have two original keys that will not work and the new key that does. I don't want to spend another $100 to get another backup key (which is what I thought I was getting) when have now have two original keys and one replacement key. Any similar experiences?? Any suggestions??
Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Is this a common problem?
Yes, but is not a problem. The vehicle is reprogrammed to recognize the new keys, but by design, it stops recognizing the old keys, unless the old key are program with the new keys.

Quote:
Can the dealer correct this?
yes, they just have to reprogram all keys at the same time.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
2004 Altima

Default To help save you time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedw View Post
I recently misplaced my original key and replaced it with a key from the Nissan dealer. After incurring this cost, I found my original key. The problem is that with the original key the car cranks, but will not start. It does start with the new key. Is this a common problem? Can the dealer correct this? I now have two original keys that will not work and the new key that does. I don't want to spend another $100 to get another backup key (which is what I thought I was getting) when have now have two original keys and one replacement key. Any similar experiences?? Any suggestions??
After spending way too much time looking for a sane (read: NOT rapacious pricing scam) alternative to dealers and locksmiths, I posted my findings on Facebook for my friends. As a contribution to this community, I will paste it here too. I hope anybody in need finds this useful.

Just an FYI to save my friends some pain, if the need should arise to get any spare transponder auto keys or replacement keyless entry / alarm fobs for these newer cars. First, if you go to the dealer, prepare to be raped. You can easily find blank keys for ~$10 - $15 online. You still need to get them cut; however it's the programming of the transponder in the key is where they get you. If you have 2 working keys, you can do this yourself by following a process in your drivers seat once you get a blank and have it cut (most any hardware store can do this for a couple bucks). See the linked video. In my case, I only ever had the one key, so I called a nearby ACE hardware and was quoted $62 for the key, cut and programmed. Thank you nerd boy!

Second, as far as the alarm fobs, the dealers will screw you to the wall; sometimes hundreds of dollars. I found a backup for mine on eBay for $20, including shipping. NEW KEYLESS REMOTE FOB 02-06 NISSAN ALTIMA MAXIMA 350Z INFINITI G35 KBRASTU15 | eBay

This all started with me looking for a replacement for my Audiovox remote starter; From Audiovox $65 +S&H. eBay, $11 total. KEYLESS REMOTE START FOB AUDIOVOX FCC ID: ELVATCC AVX-1B4S | eBay

Gotta love the interwebs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-r7...&feature=share
Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
1999 Pathfinder

Default pathfinder driving me crazy

I have replaced fuel pump,filter,distributor,cap,button...my 99 cranks. It won't start though,dealer said it wasn't firing

Tags
problem, starting