Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Tow hitch load Forums > > Tow hitch load Tow hitch load
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Pathfinder Nissan Pathfinder Discussion Forum

Old 01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
chriss

Default Tow hitch load

Hi Guys. I have a 2001 Pathfinder (since new - and am very happy with it) and have recently started towing a camper trailer weighing about 1000 kg. This tows well, but the vertical weight on the tow hitch is 140 kg and this pushes the rear suspension down a long way although it is not bottoming out. I can't find any published data for the recommended design weight on the hitch. Can anyone advise or comment? Cheers chriss
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Master Enthusiast
1994 Pathfinder
94 Pathfinder

i am sure 140lbs is just fine. that's less then an average man standing on it. your saggin is a rear suspention issue.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
88pathoffroad

Yeah, the rear coils on R50's seem to have that issue. They're just real soft to give you a better ride, at the sacrifice of not having much load capacity.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
vfxmark

I intermittantly pull a similar weight trailer, and while this is well within rated capacity, I eventually added a set of airbags inside the rear coil springs in order to adjust rear end ride height when pulling the trailer. The airbags sit in the springs, require very little modification to the vehicle (drill two holes, remove "bottom out blocks inside coils) Cheap and easy (if you have access to a lift) and totally solved the problem... I run a little air in the bags normally to stiffen up the rear end a bit, and when pulling a trailer, I pump the bags up. The bags share a fill-tube and I remoted it to just inside the gas filler door which keeps the schraeder fill valve clean.

Hope this helps
Mark
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

I pulled this from your Owners Manual.

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Tow hitch load-image2-gif  

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 05-24-2009, 03:46 AM
BazPath

Hi, I have the same exact problem and I have not started towing yet!!!! the rear suspension is ridiculously soft and I would like to have an idea as to where to find these airbags. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 AM
vfxmark

The bags I used were acquired through a friends custom shop.... but they are:

Air Lift 1000 part number 60742

best bet is to call the company at 1 800 248-0892 in order to see who sells them in your area and exactly which model is applicable to your particular vehicle.

Good luck!

mark
Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 AM
BazPath

Thanks for the quick response Mark. I will try and see what they have.

Regards.

Tags
hitch, load, tow