Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan 370Z Engine Oil Overheating Forums > > Nissan 370Z Engine Oil Overheating Nissan 370Z Engine Oil Overheating
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nissan Z Nissan 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 280ZX, 300ZX, 350Z, 370Z, Discussion Forum

Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Default Nissan 370Z Engine Oil Overheating

I received a letter from Nissan to share with all the Nissanhelp.com Users about the 370Z oil overheating:
The 370Z has an engine protection system that reduces peak engine speeds when the oil temperature exceeds recommended levels in order to protect against possible engine damage. Aggressive driving of the 370Z on a race track at sustained high engine speeds can cause increases in oil temperature and may activate this engine protection system. To avoid activation of this engine protection system and these reduced peak engine speeds, Nissan recommends an oil cooler be fitted to the 370Z before driving it on a race track. A Nissan Motorsports accessory oil cooler kit is available for customer purchase through authorized Nissan dealerships for race track use. The part number is 21300-SS370.

An oil cooler is not necessary for normal operation of the vehicle on public roads. The addition of an oil cooler would have raised the price of the car and potentially moved it out of the reach of some customers. Value has been a core principle of the Z car since the original 240Z and we choose to uphold this core principle by not adding additional costs that are unnecessary for normal use. For those individuals who choose to drive their vehicle on a race track, the oil cooler is available as an aftersales item.

The oil cooler is a Nissan Motorsports item and as such is sold without warranty, express or implied, unless expressly prohibited by law in which case the warranty provided is the minimum required by law. The installation of the Nissan Motorsports oil cooler does not, by itself, “void” the vehicle warranty. However any damage caused by the installation or use of this part is expressly excluded under the terms of the Nissan New Vehicle Limited warranty.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
2010 370Z Roadster

My 2010 370Z engine oil gets to 260 degrees in hot weather city driving and on long grades at low highway speeds. Nissan says that is normal. Oil starts to oxidize at approx.240 degrees. I am 60 years old and do not race the car. I thought I was buying a car that would operate under severe conditions much less normal driving. Nissan made the oil cooler standard on 2012 models even though they do not have a problem.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM
2007 350Z
07 350-Z

Default 2012 370Z Oil Cooler

Can anyone tell me how I can Verify if the 2012 370-Z has the oil cooler as standard equipment? None of the official Nissan literature nor any dealers I have checked with can tell me.They can"t find anything on it. This is a make or break issue as to whether I would consider purchasing one. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
2007 350Z
2007 350Z

The oil cooler is not available as a dealer option. It is, as the post from NissanTech says,an after-sales item that must be ordered through the dealer. It might be available through the NISMO Motorsports Catalog:

http://www.nissanusa.com/nismo-web/N...talog-2010.pdf

A good alternative would be the Stillen or Mitshimoto aftermarket oil coolers.

Stillen:
STILLEN : STILLEN Oil Cooler Kit

Mishimoto:
Nissan 370Z, 2009+ / Infiniti G37, 2008+ (Coupe only) Oil Cooler Kit, by Mishimoto
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 PM
2007 350Z
07 350-Z

Default 370-Z Oil Cooler Reply

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. I was wondering if you could tell me what the small rectangular "cooler or radiator" is that is mounted on the passenger side in front of the ac condenser and radiator? I have an 07 350-Z and it has one as well as a used 09 370-Z I saw at a dealership. The 2012 I looked at also has this. Mine and the 2012 are 6-speeds and the 09 was an automatic. Thinking of trading but don't want to make a mistake. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM
2012 370Z Coupe
2012 370 Z Touring/Sport

The 2012 Z has an oil heat exchanger. it uses the engine coolant to cool the oil. Under "normal" driving, it will keep the oil temp under 240, but any spirited driving and it will quickly go over 240. I occasionally do a track day, and hit 260 a few times, and have had the NISMO Oil Cooler installed. It replaces the stock sandwich plate type oil heat exchanger between the engine and the oil filter. I live in GA, and on cooler days, the oil temp will only get to around 140-160 under normal driving conditions.

Edit: It is similar to the Stillen oil cooler, but has a 34 row cooler. 25 should be good for most circumstances.

Last edited by dcdave247; 11-08-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM
2007 350Z
07 350-Z

Default 370-Z Oil Cooler

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it! I live in Al so our weather is about the same. I am not an overly aggressive driver but I will put it through its paces from time to time. I have decided to hold off trading and keep the 350. Hard to justify selling it as it has never had any reliability issues since I purchased it new. The only annoyance is the issue of roaring tires.Nissan told me that issue was corrected and only affected the first few years of the 350. I took them at their word before I bought the 350 and is the reason I am gun shy about the overheating complaints. If anyone has a remedy for the tire roaring on the 350 please let me know.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 AM
2005 350Z
1997 Sentra SE-R
2004 Nissan 350z

My 2010 370Z motor oil gets to 260 levels in hot climate town generating and on lengthy qualities at low road rates of speed. Car says that is regular. Oil begins to oxidize at approximately.240 levels. I am 60 years of age and do not competition the car. I believed I was purchasing a car that would function under serious circumstances much less regular generating. Car created the oil chilly conventional on 2012 designs even though they do not have a issue.. . .

Tags
370z, engine, nissan, oil, overheating