Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Rough-ish idle. Forums > > 2003 Rough-ish idle. 2003 Rough-ish idle.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM
ram guy

Default 2003 Rough-ish idle.

I am new to this forum...I am hoping I can get some help here.I have a 2003 Murono SE.My wife generally drives it and never mentioned anything.I get in it and notice right away that it idles rougher than before...Still not as rough as a Buick on a good day but also not as "smooth as glass" as it was.I have no idea how to diagnose/test/whatever on these things.Not that I can't I just don't know where to start on something like this.I'm also too cheap to take it to the dealer right away to scope it.Also I don't know if it is related but when you shut it off and wait about a minute the exhaust pops.Kinda like if the cat was hot and igniting fuel vapour.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

do u have any lights that are on like Check engine light? (if so u can have it scanned at your local autozone or advance auto parts store for free to see what codes u have. )how many miles on the car and when was the last time u had a tune up or anywork done to the car??

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
ram guy

Sorry...yeah NO codes.That is the most frustraiting part.According to the lights there is no problem.It has 115000KM and I don't know if or when it had a tune up last.But my understanding is that these engines are supposed to go HUGE miles without a tune up with the fancy "nasa" approved plugs and no wires to go bad.We have owned this Murano for maybe 3 months and about 5000km-when we bought it I was overwhelmed by how smooth it ran.Now if you put your hand on the engine you can feel that it is rough, and esspecially when it is cold (first 1 or 2 minutes driving) it will sometimes hessitate almost like it is stalling out.That said I wonder if it is possible I just had some bad fuel??Like I said I hardley ever drive it.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

km u must be out of country(to make it esier 71461mi for US folks) but it still might need a tune up like sparks or even changing the air filter(which dont cost much and easy to replace). try to scan the car for codes they might be stored and u can just do it just to rule that out. check out all the belts and pulleys for noise. i would sggest having someone start the car and take a look under the hood to see if u can pin point the noise.it can run a lil rought when first started and cause the engine is trieng to reach a certain temp.
does your wife drive it alot or does the car sit for long periods of time? u can try running some fuel system cleaner, i suggest techron use with premium fuel though or just read the directions(its not expensive walmart carries it or try local parts store), try running that everyother tank and see if u notice any change??

Last edited by sergey85; 11-10-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
ram guy

Yup Canadian KMs...

I have replaced the air filter already but not the plugs.I did the self diagnostic and the flashes told me there were no codes, plus the engine light never ever did come on.I just put fuel in it tonight and it was on my way to the station that I noticed it was a little rough.What do you think could possibly cause the pop in the exhaust after it is shut off...about a minute after it is shut off.

Thinking about it now...I wonder if it were misfiring could it load the cat up with enough vapour that it could ignite after it was shut down?Im just grasping straws now.

Thanx again for the replies
Old 11-16-2008, 04:08 PM
ram guy

Not really a ton of people on this forum...I was kinda hoping for a little more input.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:01 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram guy View Post
Not really a ton of people on this forum...I was kinda hoping for a little more input.
You're not really giving us much information, just that is runs a little rougher than it used to doesn't really tell us a whole lot. Can you give us a better description?
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
ram guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
You're not really giving us much information, just that is runs a little rougher than it used to doesn't really tell us a whole lot. Can you give us a better description?
The best description I can give would be that it almost seems like a dead cylinder.However like I said,it doesn't shoot any codes.With this goofy type of coil pack spark plug deally I am not even sure how I would go about isolating the bad cylider-if that is actually what it is.I don't know if this is related but it is getting worse mileage than my 1ton diesel 4x4 too.I may need to just bite the bullet and take it in and scope it.
As far as the pop after the engine is shut down...I would probably describe that as a POP (in the exhaust)after the engine is shut down.It takes (guessing) about 40 seconds after the (warm) engine is shut off.I kinda tried to tell myself that it was just contracting from cooling off but it is WAY TOO LOUD for that to be the case.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

u can try to test for a bad ccoil by having the carrunning, then unplugg each coil one by one and if the one u take out and the problem still occurs then thats the one. if when u unplugg it and and gets worse than thats not a bad coil.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Have the fuel system cleaned including the injectors and mass air flow sensor. after that have the dealer preform the idle air/volume learn proceedure done. That should make it far better than a buick ever thought of being...

Tags
2003, idle, roughish