Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Oil Capacity Forums > > Engine Oil Capacity Engine Oil Capacity
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
njacobsen

Question Engine Oil Capacity

Just changed the oil for the first time in my '07 Murano and am confused by the correct amount of oil. The owners manual states 4 3/4 qt while the service manual downloaded from this site states 4 1/4 qt. They both say to fill until at the full mark on the dipstick. So far, I have filled with 5 quarts and the level is half-way on the dipstick hashmarks. Could it be 5 1/4 quarts are required?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 AM
2015 Rogue

Definately not 5 quarts. The dipstick is very hard to get an accurate reading on the 3.5l engine. Usually 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 quarts should fill it.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 AM
njacobsen

The Service Manual states 5 1/4 qt for dry fill. Perhaps draining the oil on ramps with the front of the vehicle elevated does a better drain as the drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan. Why is there such a differnence between oil drain and dissasembly dry fill. For 1/2 to 1 quart remaining in the engine for a normal oil drain (with filter change), a clean oil condition is never achieved.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
The Service Manual states 5 1/4 qt for dry fill. Perhaps draining the oil on ramps with the front of the vehicle elevated does a better drain as the drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan. Why is there such a differnence between oil drain and dissasembly dry fill. For 1/2 to 1 quart remaining in the engine for a normal oil drain (with filter change), a clean oil condition is never achieved.
5 1/4 would be if it was a new engine that never had oil in it. During an oil change there is no way to get all of the oil out of an engine. There are too many places for it to sit.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM

2007 Murano S

I noticed the same discrepancy also. Since the owners manual is provided with each new vehicle I would use the owners manual as the guide. Not everyone has the shop manual therefore you can't go wrong by following the Nissan supplied owners manual.
I purchased my new 07 Murano this past May. If the factory correctly added 5 1/4 quarts of oil for the dry fill then the reading on my engine's dipstick was above the hash area on the H. I dumped the factory fill at 2K and replenished the engine with 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Nissan oil filter. The reading on the dipstick after the oil change indicated at the top of the hash area, but not as high as the factory fill was. I purchase oil in 5 quart containers and the difference between the recommended 4 3/4 qts. and the 5 quarts is only 4 oz. If a dry fill is 5 1/4 qts. then the oil sump on the 3.5L V-6 will easily handle those 4 extra ounces.
This brings me back to the owners manual. According to the illustration explaining the marks on the oil dipstick, L/hash area/H, Nissan recommends that the oil level be in the hash area for safe operation.

Tags
capacity, engine, oil