Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 Murano Fuel Level Sensors Replaced Guage not working properly Forums > > 2007 Murano Fuel Level Sensors Replaced Guage not working properly 2007 Murano Fuel Level Sensors Replaced Guage not working properly
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM
2007 Murano

Default 2007 Murano Fuel Level Sensors Replaced Guage not working properly

I have a 2007 Murano. Just went thru the fuel level sensors going haywire and causing an erratic fuel guage, check engine light, and erroneous fuel economy display (Miles remaining until empty).

I purchased the fuel level sensor and sub fuel lever sensor from Nissan and had my mechanic install them.

Erratic behavior has stopped by now the guage will not read above about 1/3 rd of a tank and the miles till empty display seems about the same.

My mechanic says I have to take it to the dealer to have the computer or instrument cluster reprogrammed.

Does this sound correct?

Any input or insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

As far as I know there is not computer or instrument cluster reprogram for that issue. It's possible that the fuel level sensor float got stuck when he was installing it.

You mechanic can test how the gauge is working by jumping the Black/White (B/W) with the Green/Black (G/B) wires. One wire is on the main fuel level sensor connector and the other wire is on the sub fuel level sensor connector. When jumping the wire the fuel level sensor should go all the way to the top (Full Tank).

2007 Murano Fuel Level Sensors Replaced Guage not working properly-capture-png
Attached Thumbnails
2007 Murano Fuel Level Sensors Replaced Guage not working properly-capture-png  

Last edited by NissanTech; 07-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 AM
2006 Murano

I had a similar problem with my 2006 murano. Took it to the Nissan dealership and the mechanic said it was the fuel sending unit and he replaced it.

A week later after filling up the tank, the erratic fuel guage and check engine light was back. Took it back to the dealership and they thought it was the other fuel sending unit, so he replaced the other one (I had to run some gas out of the car before they could replace it).

A week later, same thing. Took it back for the last time and the manager explained that they thought the fuel pump needed to be replaced because the float was getting stuck. They purposely did not replace the pump because the service bulletin said only to replace the sending units. So they replaced the pump, filled up the tank and tested it.

It has been only two days but it seems to be better now. I paid $630 for the 2 sending units and labor. They replaced the pump for free due to the hassle.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a 2007 Murano. Just went thru the fuel level sensors going haywire and causing an erratic fuel guage, check engine light, and erroneous fuel economy display (Miles remaining until empty).

I purchased the fuel level sensor and sub fuel lever sensor from Nissan and had my mechanic install them.

Erratic behavior has stopped by now the guage will not read above about 1/3 rd of a tank and the miles till empty display seems about the same.

My mechanic says I have to take it to the dealer to have the computer or instrument cluster reprogrammed.

Does this sound correct?

Any input or insight would be appreciated.
Have the mechanic check the orientation of the sub sensor. I have seen a couple where someone replaced the sensors and installed the sub sensor upside down. It keeps the gauge close to the half mark. Also make sure the float for the sub sensor isn't stuck on the hose that runs across the inside of the tank from the fuel pump.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:00 AM
2003 Murano

I had the same issue. I replaced the fuel pump and both level sensors. Still had an erratic fuel gauge. I explained the problem to the parts store that I purchased all the parts at and asked if I returned all parts could they exchange all three parts for new ones as we didn't know which part was bad and I didn't want to do the uninstall and reinstall for each part one by one because how difficult this repair is to do. They agreed and swapped out both sensors and a new pump. So I uninstalled the old brand new parts, exchanged for new parts and installed everything for the second time. Half a day of driving later the fuel gauge was working perfectly. So I stopped at the gas station to fill the fuel tank up. I got in the vehicle to return home and the gauge was showing empty!

I decided to take the car to a shop and let them fix the dang thing. The mechanic told me in his experience with Nissan, when it comes to sensors of all kinds you need to buy genuine Nissan parts. He said buying sensors from the chain parts stores never seem to work. That's what he has experienced in his 35+ years of business. He offered to do the work or I could take the vehicle and I owed him nothing.

So I took the Murano back home, went to Nissan and purchased a fuel pump and both level sensors from them. Went home uninstalled the second set from O'Reilly's (which I was able to return for a full $$$ refund thankfully), installed the Genuine Nissan parts and everything has worked perfectly since.

Side note: Even though O'Reilly's fuel level sensors were the exact same Dorman sensors that Nissan sold me, for whatever reason two sets of brand new sensors from O'Reilly's didn't work right. The first set from Nissan did and still is working today.

I also tried the "cleaning the contacts" procedure you can find here on the forums with the original parts to begin with. As you should already know that did not work for me. It just caused me to have to go through the whole uninstall/reinstall procedure another time.

All in all I uninstalled and reinstalled the sensors:

x1 - tried cleaning them
x1 - new pump with sensor and sub sensor O'Reilly's
x1 - when they exchanged all parts because first set didn't solve issue
x1 - with genuine Nissan parts

Take it from me, this repair is extremely difficult due to how extremely hard the locking rings are to get on! Doing the job once is absolutely hard enough to do yourself. Save yourself the agony I went through and buy genuine sensors from Nissan and do the job once!

The good news is I got to where I could do the entire uninstall both sides and reinstall both sides in about 30 minutes! I can also tell you that I don't ever want to do this job again for anyone! Ever! It is extremely difficult!

Tags
2007, fuel, guage, level, murano, properly, replaced, sensors, working