Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2007 Murano engine issues Forums > > 2007 Murano engine issues 2007 Murano engine issues
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 AM
2007 Murano
2007 Murano

Unhappy 2007 Murano engine issues

I just changed the oil and filter in my 2007 Murano, and also flushed out the radiator and added new coolant and re-secured my hoses. I made sure and used the exact type of oil (SAE-5W30) and coolant my Murano requires. After I changed the oil, I also rinsed off the engine with the water hose, and used battery cleaner to clean my battery connections. I started my Murano up, and all of a sudden, my service engine soon light popped up. Also, I can't accelerate past 30 miles per hour, or three RPM before the car starts to knock and loses power. What happened? I put the Murano in park, and tried revving the engine, and once it passes three on the RPM gauge, it starts to sputter and seems like it doesn't have any power. Please help me regarding this issue.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM
2012 Murano

Sounds to me like water got someplace it shouldn't.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenshaw4727 View Post
I just changed the oil and filter in my 2007 Murano, and also flushed out the radiator and added new coolant and re-secured my hoses. I made sure and used the exact type of oil (SAE-5W30) and coolant my Murano requires. After I changed the oil, I also rinsed off the engine with the water hose, and used battery cleaner to clean my battery connections. I started my Murano up, and all of a sudden, my service engine soon light popped up. Also, I can't accelerate past 30 miles per hour, or three RPM before the car starts to knock and loses power. What happened? I put the Murano in park, and tried revving the engine, and once it passes three on the RPM gauge, it starts to sputter and seems like it doesn't have any power. Please help me regarding this issue.
Just FYI, the engine will not let you rev it past around 3750 in park, so that part is normal.

Most auto parts stores will let you borrow their OBD code scanner, which plugs into the obd connector under the dash. The check engine light means you have a trouble code stored in the computer, and the code scanner will tell you what is wrong.

Either there is a wire on the engine that has insulation damage, and water is completing the circuit to ground, or there is a connector that has gotten wet and is shorting out.

Did you disconnect the battery when cleaning the terminals? That might of caused some fault. You might try simply disconnecting it again, leave it disconnected for about 30 minutes, and reconnect....this will clear codes and let you try again (rebooting the computer).

Did you change the air filter? make sure you did not unplug the mass airflow sensor by mistake..that part is on the air intake hose
Old 04-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Yip, water probably got into the mass air flow meter, You also may have gotten water on the fuse box/IPDM ER. Try to get the water out.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 AM
2015 Rogue

Make sure the hose from the throttle body to the air filter housing is still connected. They usually come apart at the clamps when you check the air filter.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
2007 Murano
2007 Murano

Man I feel pretty stupid....LOL....I forgot to connect back one of the fuse connectors, I don't know what it is exactly called, but it was located by the air filter. Once I connected it, it ran fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast
2007 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenshaw4727 View Post
Man I feel pretty stupid....LOL....I forgot to connect back one of the fuse connectors, I don't know what it is exactly called, but it was located by the air filter. Once I connected it, it ran fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yup, that's your Mass Airflow Sensor connector.

Trust me, anybody who has ever worked on a car has made at least one or two pretty good mistakes.

In the olden days, cars had left-hand threads on certain parts, like the pitman shaft adjuster nut. Trying to loosen a left-hand threaded lock nut by turning it counter-clockwise can result in shearing the adjuster off the pitman shaft...or so I've heard

Tags
2007, engine, issues, murano