Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oil dissapearance Forums > > Oil dissapearance Oil dissapearance
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM
2003 Murano

Default Oil dissapearance

I have a 2003 Murano (purchased 5 months ago). When we purchased it they said they did an oil change. Then 2+ months ago the oil was gone. We had the oil changed and replaced. Now I took it into a repair place and no oil again. The car is driven maybe 500 miles a month. There is no oil under the car when left overnight. There is no smoke apparent when starting or driving the car. I assume if there was a major engine problem with the cylinders or pistons we would see smoke. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Did you add oil after you find out that the engine oil was low? how much oil did you add? It's not very common for the engine to loses 5-6 qts. of oil in 500 miles.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

"JimParsons", NissanTech is correct. All the motor oil is gone driving 500 miles and no drivebability issue? Check your oil dipstick to be sure its sitting properly.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM
2003 Murano

Default Oil disappearance

My son was told by JiffyLube that there was no oil after being told 3 months before, when buying it used from a respectable Honda dealer, that they had changed the oil. When I took it to a Nissan dealer to find out why there was noise in the engine, they did not know why. I called a well known independent Japanese repair place and they said it might be the lifters but check the oil, which is when my son took it to JiffyLube. It then ran fine for about 500 miles, and the noise started again. I took it to the independent repair place and they said the oil was empty. But there were no obvious leaks (no drops of oil in the carport, and no smoke when driving. I suppose JiffyLube could have messed up, but a new car dealer and JiffyLube? Not likely. So where the heck did the oil go and why?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 AM
2004 Murano

Default oil disappearance

i have the same issue. the oil disappears, no leaks ..nada
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
2012 Murano

Does not make any sense
Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Here's my suggestion:
1. Remove valve cover and see if SLUDGE have built up. If heavy sludge is present, clean and re-install (follow manual for loosening and tightening sequence, and torque).

2. Drain existing oil and take samples of your existing oil and send it for oil analysis. Take samples from oil filter, at start of drain, mid drain, and toward the end when drain is slowing down. Just google oil analysis and pick which one you want to work with.

3. Fill with thinner full synthetics motor oil like 5-30 weight as it has better detergent additives. Run it for 100 miles checking oil level at least twice.

4. By now you should have the oil analysis report. Drain existing oil again and fill with something like 10w-30 Full Synthetics. Be sure to change oil filter also.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM
2003 Murano

Were you ever able to fix this problem? I am having the same issue. Just over 100,000 miles started burning oil about 1 quart every 750 miles. Changed 1 cat at about 95,000 miles. No smoke, no knock, no engine issues. Should I just live with it or trade it in?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
2003 Murano

Me too, ever find the cause?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
2004 Murano

Default missing oil

i took it to the dealership, they blew out the cat. converter. i drove 1000 miles, brought it back for them to check, but i had to put a couple qts in during that time. so they topped it off, and said drive 500 and come back in. just did that this weekend. they said it was full and they didn't need to add any, so they said drive 500 more and bring it back in so they could check it. and thats where it stands now. i'm hopeing its not gaskets/seals etc. but we'll see.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM
2003 Murano

Default Any update?

I think the bad cat is the cause of the problem. I am going thru a quart every 1000 mile. I never burnt any oil before I replaced cat. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM
2004 Murano

Default oil disappearance

just talked to the dealership today, and after all the monitoring of oil consumption, they are going to replace the whole engine, and can u believe... free of charge, they said its a defect. which i'm not gonna argue with, thank god it was under warranty......
Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 PM
2003 Xtrail
2003 xtrail st-r

hi i bought my daughter 2003 nissin x trail with 140,000 ks it had just had a service the day before we bought it after driveing it 900k oil light came on dip stick was dry so we filled it up with oil there are no leaks or smoke coming from exhaust pipe, oil is very black so we topped it up again after driveing around for couple of days there was no oil on dipstick again we put engine flush into engine and cheap oil and run it for 5 minutes changed oil with 15w 40 thicker oil and new filter and added oil treatment.Oil is clear now and been driving it around for few days hope problem is fixed and added oil treatment

Last edited by macca1; 06-23-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
2003 Murano

I now have about 135,000 still same issue burn about 1 quart every 1000 miles. I add a 1/2 quart every 500 miles so that I never run it too low, as it only holds about 4 & 1/2 quarts total. No loss of power, no smoke. Just have learned to live with it.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM
2003 Xtrail
2003 xtrail st-r

problem still there burning oil dont know where it is going done oil change Sunday added oil treatment she drove short distance Monday Tuesday had to top up the oil again will have to get a compression test done now car goes fine nice young lady we bought it off dont return calls silly thing to do sell someone dud car and give your name and address

Tags
dissapearance, oil