Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
04 Murano surges, can't drive. TSB? Forums > > 04 Murano surges, can't drive. TSB? 04 Murano surges, can't drive. TSB?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
2004 Murano

Default 04 Murano surges, can't drive. TSB?

Hi All,
Here is the problem I am having, I was driving to work the other day when my car started to surge and stop surge and stop. I pulled over to the side of the road and waited for a few minutes and started up again. The car did the same thing.
Long story short I had her towed to a auto shop and a quick diagnosis showed that two of my motor mounts were broken, coolant bottle was cracked, and my one of my o2 sensors was bad. I had my guy replace the mounts and the bottle to the tune of 650 bucks. When we put the car back together, replugged sensor and it was doing the surge thing again after a little bit of driving. We hooked it up to the OBDii and got the following.

P0037 Heated oxygen sensor, control circuit (bank 1 sensor 2)
P0057 Heated oxygen Senor control circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P1051 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 heater control circuit low bank 2
P1168 closed loop control function bank 2

My Mechanic is telling me that this could be a problem covered by NTB04-70
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ba..._ntb04-070.pdf

I’m just curious about a few things, is there is way to see if I am covered by the TSB before taking the car there (it was towed to his shop and will have to be towed anywhere I take it)
Is reprogramming the ECM something my mechanic can do or is it a dealer only thing?
Would resetting the ECM have the same effect?
Does this problem sound like something that could be fixed with something like a ECM reprogram/reset?
I appreciate your time and efforts.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
I’m just curious about a few things, is there is way to see if I am covered by the TSB
Since you vehicle is a 2004 you Murano is already out of warranty. The bulletin is just to inform the techs at the dealer that there is a common problem with sensor, but the bulletin doesn't extend the warranty.

Quote:
Is reprogramming the ECM something my mechanic can do or is it a dealer only thing?
Only if your mechanic have the Nissan CONSULT and the latest ECM program.

Quote:
Would resetting the ECM have the same effect?
No.

Quote:
Does this problem sound like something that could be fixed with something like a ECM reprogram/reset?
No

Although it's possible that the O2 sensor can cause the engine to surge, more than likely there is another problem with your Murano. Usually bad O2 sensors, engine mounts and especially a cracked coolant bottle, will not cause a surge problem.

I suggest getting a second opinion, you may have a problem with a bad air flow meter or fuel pump. Have you mechanic check for fuel pressure, air flow meter and spark plugs condition.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM
2004 Murano

I appreciate your reply.

I took it to the dealership and they changed the bank 2 sensor 1 Oxygen sensor. they also replaced the motor mounts and coolant bottle. There was also a recall open that they fixed. Basically when the car was returned everything was fine.

I was driving today and the car basically lost power momentarily but then kicked into gear again and went. It did it a few more times throughout my drive. All very brief. Dealership also suggest I replace all of my catalytic converters to the tune of $3300.00

Also the check engine light came on again I got the following codes;

p0138 (B1S2 Oxygen Sensor, Circuit High voltage)
p0158 (B2S2 Oxygen Sensor, Circuit High Voltage)

A few questions does this sound like a cat issue?

Also could it be the alternator or spark plugs?

Any ideas at all? I don't have the funds to replace the entire car piece by piece as the dealership suggests :)

Dealership suggested I change all of these things. But wouldn't explain why or how they would fix the problem.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2003 Murano

That would be extremely rare to need all of the converters replaced. I had a similar problem, but with only 1 error code, but after a different problem was fixed, the problem went away. I had missed a recall on my 2003 that cause the ducting to the throttle body to become partially disconnected while my wife was pulling up to park behind another car. The Murano surged ahead into a parked SUV doing a little damage to the bumper cover. It would start and run for about 5 seconds then stop again. The sensors were getting incorrect mixture readings and I believe compensated by jamming in extra gas causing the surge. There is no way I would ever trust a Nissan dealer service department. If you do need one or more converters and you are lucky enough to not live in California, you can get the job done for half the price elsewhere.

Tags
drive, murano, surges, tsb