Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Transfer case leak - 2009 Murano Forums > > Transfer case leak - 2009 Murano Transfer case leak - 2009 Murano
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Murano Nissan Murano Discussion Forum

Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 AM
xxxxxxxx

Default Transfer case leak - 2009 Murano

Hi,

Noticed a small leak the other day (only has leaked once) in the garage and brought it in to the dealer. He confirmed it was a transfer case seal leak. He booked me in for May 11 (10 days from today). He said it would not harm the vehicle and I also mentioned to him that i was going out of town next wk, with a lot of highway driving. He again confirmed that it would not harm the vehicle. The vehicle only has 25K on it. I would just like some of the valued opinions on this forum to provide their input.

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
2015 Rogue

If you are going on a long trip it would be a good idea to have them top off the fluid before you leave.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
xxxxxxxx

Update: Brought the Murano in to the dealer, they replaced the transfer case seal, took it for a test drive and noticed it was still leaking. Now, they are going to replace the entire transfer case. Although, they can't find one right now...
Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxxxx View Post
Update: Brought the Murano in to the dealer, they replaced the transfer case seal, took it for a test drive and noticed it was still leaking. Now, they are going to replace the entire transfer case. Although, they can't find one right now...
We just did one last week. Didn't have any problems getting one.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
deeznuts

Not that it really matters, but if you never got your vehicle back after the repair then they lied to you. They either never got the right part, damaged "something" during the repair, or saw that it was more than just a seal. Oh well, it's still free for you.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
xxxxxxxx

yeah never got the vehicle back...and when I went to the dealer to get my belongings out of the murano, I noticed a puddle of fluid...when i brought it in, it was a very minor leak...i think they screwed something up as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
xxxxxxxx

just curious, how many seals does the transfer case have? 1, 2 or ?? is it possible they replaced the wrong one, if there is more than one.

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
just curious, how many seals does the transfer case have? 1, 2 or ?? is it possible they replaced the wrong one, if there is more than one.

Thanks,
There is a total of 3 seals on the transfer case.. Right side axle seal, left side input shaft seal and the output shaft seal for the rear driveshaft. The seal that leaks is the one between the transfer case and the transmission (left side input). When that is changed they also need to change the seal on the transmission where the input shaft goes in.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 AM
xxxxxxxx

MPE235 thanks for the reply. well, my saga continues...just spoke to the dealer and they can not find any transfer cases in Canada...and for some reason (will call him back today for more clarification) they can't order from the USA...so they have to order from Nissan in Japan...i can't believe this...they've had my Murano for 5 days and can't give me a date of when I should be getting it back....

MPE235, was the transfer case you replaced a new or used?

Thanks,

Last edited by xxxxxxxx; 05-15-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
MPE235 thanks for the reply. well, my saga continues...just spoke to the dealer and they can not find any transfer cases in Canada...and for some reason (will call him back today for more clarification) they can't order from the USA...so they have to order from Nissan in Japan...i can't believe this...they've had my Murano for 5 days and can't give me a date of when I should be getting it back....

MPE235, was the transfer case you replaced a new or used?

Thanks,
It was a new one.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM
litterfisher

A few of my trucks have had leaking transfer case parts and its a pain to find good salvage units. any one got any suggestions other than ebay?

Tags
2009, case, leak, murano, transfer