Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny??? Forums > > cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny??? cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny???
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Maxima Nissan Maxima Discussion Forum

Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
johnblaze401

Default cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny???

2004 nissan maxima se 5speed auto.

heres the low down. yesterday morning the car started fine. put the car in reverse and car did not move. check engine light came on. played around with the car a little more. the car stalls. when shifting to reverse hard shift. when placing car in D hard shift. when you drive it, it starts off in 5th gear. when put into tiptronic mode the shifter reads has gear 5. now when driving i have only 2 gears in tiptronic mode. im assuming 5 and maybe 3 or 4. later on that day i turned the car on and everything went away, the hard crank, the stalling, and the weird shifting. the next day i turn the car on and all of the symptoms came back. i went to autozone and they read the ecm with a cam shaft position sensor in bank 2 as the issue. my only question is would the cam shaft positioning sensor cause the car to shift crazy and only have reverse and 2 gears? and all the things i have mentioned? and is there a way to reset the ecu to see if it really is a sensor or just a hiccup. im all ears for sugestions before i bring it to the dealership and fork out hundreds of dollars.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

What code did you got? PXXXX?

Quote:
cam shaft positioning sensor cause the car to shift crazy and only have reverse and 2 gears?
It's possible but no likely. Did autozone check the "transmission control unit" for codes? you may have more codes stored there, that can help you diagnose the problem.

I suggest to have autozone reset the light with the scanner or disconnect the car battery for about 30 minutes.

There are a couple of bulletin related to the CAM sensor: Knowledgebase - 2004 Maxima - Nissanhelp.com

Keyword Filter: mil
Old 11-02-2008, 06:41 AM
johnblaze401

the code i got was p0345 cmp sensor bank 2. that was the only code it spit out. im not sure about the transmission sensor cuzz it does all the stuff the cmp sensor regulates like the long cranks. and when the car starts right up like its suppose to like it did again last night, all the symptoms go away.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 PM
MCMARK

Default cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny???

OMG - I have almost the exact same issue... I just dropped my car off to the shop to change to a used Tranny. The Cam Shaft code also came up for me... everything you used about the car doing hipcup, only starts at 5th gear and sometimes the car just shuts off when driving.. can you believe it? and then I pull over and try to start the car up... then the VDC light comes ON and its in 5th gear...
Hopefully, after replacing the Tranny, it will solve the problem... and not have to deal with yet another issue (CAM SHAFT replacement)... this car has given me too much trouble... no more MAXIMA after this!!! and the NISSAN dealship is a freaking rip off... they want to charge me over five grand to replace the TRANNY... haha
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM
johnblaze401

when i talked to the parts guy he said the sensor will make ur car shift like that. the piece is only 90 dollars... u mite just need to replace the sensor and not the tranny
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM
johnblaze401

does anyone know where the camshaft positioning sensor is located? i might try to just buy the sensor and replace it myselft. its in bank 2
Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblaze401 View Post
does anyone know where the camshaft positioning sensor is located? i might try to just buy the sensor and replace it myselft. its in bank 2
I pulled this from your Service Manual Section EC - ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM.

Hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
cam shaft positioning sensor issue/tranny???-1-gif  

FIND OUT WHAT YOUR REPAIR SHOULD COST?
Repair Cost Estimator

BUY NISSAN ACCESSORIES!
Nissanhelp Store
Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM
johnblaze401

hey thx for the diagram im going to install it 2morrow and let you guys know if it fixed it
Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 PM
johnblaze401

i looked underneath the hood and know exactly where the sensor is. the only problem is i dont know how to remove it. any tips or ideas on how to do this? i see there is a bolt there but i am not sure if i am suppose to unscrew the bolt to get to the sensor or if i just pull the plug out. thanks in advance for anyone that can help
Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

i believe u have to unscrew the bolt theen remove the sensor. then whe reinstalling make sure its properly seated all the way in and put the screw back in. check out the engine control section in the service manual it should give u a lil help. u can download the section for free

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
johnblaze401

thx for the help guys.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 AM
johnblaze401

*update*
i installed the cmp sensor today and walaaaa... fixed the issue. for all of u that are having issues with starting or tranny. go to advanced auto parts or autozone and get your code read for free... the sensor cost me 100 and 10mins to install. thanks for all the guys that helped out u guys really helped out alot!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 AM
nissanparts1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblaze401 View Post
2004 nissan maxima se 5speed auto.

heres the low down. yesterday morning the car started fine. put the car in reverse and car did not move. check engine light came on. played around with the car a little more. the car stalls. when shifting to reverse hard shift. when placing car in D hard shift. when you drive it, it starts off in 5th gear. when put into tiptronic mode the shifter reads has gear 5. now when driving i have only 2 gears in tiptronic mode. im assuming 5 and maybe 3 or 4. later on that day i turned the car on and everything went away, the hard crank, the stalling, and the weird shifting. the next day i turn the car on and all of the symptoms came back. i went to autozone and they read the ecm with a cam shaft position sensor in bank 2 as the issue. my only question is would the cam shaft positioning sensor cause the car to shift crazy and only have reverse and 2 gears? and all the things i have mentioned? and is there a way to reset the ecu to see if it really is a sensor or just a hiccup. im all ears for sugestions before i bring it to the dealership and fork out hundreds of dollars.
Just so you know, the Fail Safe Mode is why you didn't have all the gears with your transmission!! I copied this exerpt from Nissan's Features and Specifications Guide:

Fail-safe mode of the Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)

This mode enables the engine to function in a reduced capacity in case of failure by any one of four critical components (coolant temperature sensor, crankshaft angle sensor, throttle system, or airflow meter), helping the driver to reach a safe destination.

I hope this explains some things!!
-Jamie
Old 02-13-2009, 08:00 PM
dmckethan

Can anyone tell me how to replace the fog lamp; because I paid the dealer $80.00 to do it and they wouldn't even show me how it was done?
Thx,
David
Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Go to chapter LT and page 41 of the service manual. I'am not sure just what you are trying to accomplish.If you are refering to the complete removal of the head lite assy, you will have to remove the front facia.

Last edited by tech22; 02-14-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Tags
cam, issue or tranny, positioning, sensor, shaft